Thread: Estimator to PM

Estimator to PM

Hi guys. Need some advice. Have an option to go into project management with my company and manage some small projects which will, in part, entail site visits and communication with the foreman. I'm thinking this experience will make me a better estimator down the road? What do you think? Thanks

IMO, field experience WILL make you a better estimator, furthermore, if you can get some tools on and work in the trade.

Go for it.
    Edward
    Education is a progressive discovery of our ignorance.

Field experience will help in every aspect of this industry, from estimator to expediter. That's why we use the term "looks good on paper" a lot.
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by mstrlucky74 View Post
    Hi guys. Need some advice. Have an option to go into project management with my company and manage some small projects which will, in part, entail site visits and communication with the foreman. I'm thinking this experience will make me a better estimator down the road? What do you think? Thanks
    Just don't let them slide you permanently into the PM slot, especially if you have no PM specific training. Someone suggesting OJT for a major project is just someone setting you up to fail. Also, it's longer hours, FAR more stress, and no boost in pay and no overtime. On the other hand, if you are hyperactive, OCD, and type A it could be a good permanent fit.

Quote Originally Posted by gadfly56 View Post
    Just don't let them slide you permanently into the PM slot, especially if you have no PM specific training. Someone suggesting OJT for a major project is just someone setting you up to fail. Also, it's longer hours, FAR more stress, and no boost in pay and no overtime. On the other hand, if you are hyperactive, OCD, and type A it could be a good permanent fit.
    Thanks. Not sure about it being longer hours and more stressful than estimating where your flooded with bids and deadlines......very stressful.

well....I've done them all...I have just been a PM.....I have just been an estimator...I've worked for companies where I had to PM the jobs I won estimating

There is no bad experience in this great trade...including working with your tools

Every PM and estimator in our office was a field j-man/master/owner in their career path. They all know estimating, managing, and the inner workings of the front office and the field.

At that level, they all wind up doing one or the other based on what they enjoy the most. Me personally...I loved estimating....PM not so much

As a PM you will have to play the cards dealt you (the estimate). You will be handed off a job from the estimator, usually a handoff meeting with a superintendent and job forman.

You will study the documents, bid files, quotes, subs, equipment, and it will be your task to scope quotes, write PO's, make schedules, go to job meetings, write a million letters, make shop drawings, do billings, price/submit/argue change orders.

It's ton of pressure and late hours fighting for small victories and minimizing your losses for months to bring the job in......in budget or better.

Estimating is high pressure too, but a different kind of pressure.

You will find out first hand about the importance of accurate estimating ....so of course it will make you a better estimator ....

You have been estimating long enough, I think, to go get that experience....good luck

Quote Originally Posted by cdslotz View Post
    well....I've done them all...I have just been a PM.....I have just been an estimator...I've worked for companies where I had to PM the jobs I won estimating

There is no bad experience in this great trade...including working with your tools

Every PM and estimator in our office was a field j-man/master/owner in their career path. They all know estimating, managing, and the inner workings of the front office and the field.

At that level, they all wind up doing one or the other based on what they enjoy the most. Me personally...I loved estimating....PM not so much

As a PM you will have to play the cards dealt you (the estimate). You will be handed off a job from the estimator, usually a handoff meeting with a superintendent and job forman.

You will study the documents, bid files, quotes, subs, equipment, and it will be your task to scope quotes, write PO's, make schedules, go to job meetings, write a million letters, make shop drawings, do billings, price/submit/argue change orders.

It's ton of pressure and late hours fighting for small victories and minimizing your losses for months to bring the job in......in budget or better.

Estimating is high pressure too, but a different kind of pressure.

You will find out first hand about the importance of accurate estimating ....so of course it will make you a better estimator ....

You have been estimating long enough, I think, to go get that experience....good luck
    thanks for the info.