250.104(B) Other Metal Piping 2014 NEC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Well using Charlies rules nothing has been defined for 2014.

Imagine that, the NEC leaving us with a cliff hanger with no black and white conclusion. :eek:hmy: :D

They are always setting us up for a sequel in three years. :p

I will have to write this down as a proposal now or my brain will forget--

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Considering the things we all see from rodent damage, to open splices, etc., when I'm crawling around in a damp crawl space I feel better knowing that gas pipe up against my back is bonded.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Gus, curious how you would inspect a gas piping system- no CSST that had only a gas water heater. Would you require a bond and is so, what size???

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
The largest City adjoining my jurisdiction requires a #6 jumper between gas/cold/hot so most of my jobs get bonded that way as a carryover. Another large percentage are CSST requiring bonding by the mechanical folks.
I accept the equipment ground with the circuit conductor if there is a gas appliance with a circuit.
Otherwise I have recommended a #8 bond.

Gold

Seems to me there isna lot of effort to find a reason to NOT bond the gas line. The common reason seems to be fear of lightning damage. The purpose of bonding the gas line is to eliminate different voltage potentials to reduce the risk of electric shock. So what is more likely a short or fault current creating a shock hazard or a lighning strike that actually hits close enogh to the home to actually cause enough damage to destroy the gas line AND ignite the gas. It would seem that kind of lightning would already cause a catastrophic fire and we would be best served focusing on simply bonding the gas line as any other non current carrying part ...

Normally I agree with you Dennis.

Oh hey I'm Back, anyone miss me?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Seems to me there isna lot of effort to find a reason to NOT bond the gas line. The common reason seems to be fear of lightning damage. The purpose of bonding the gas line is to eliminate different voltage potentials to reduce the risk of electric shock. So what is more likely a short or fault current creating a shock hazard or a lighning strike that actually hits close enogh to the home to actually cause enough damage to destroy the gas line AND ignite the gas. It would seem that kind of lightning would already cause a catastrophic fire and we would be best served focusing on simply bonding the gas line as any other non current carrying part ...

Normally I agree with you Dennis.

Oh hey I'm Back, anyone miss me?

I am not necessarily saying I believe we should not bond the gas. I personally think it is not a bad idea to use T.250.66 as a bonding conductor to protect the home when someone installs CSST - Have I done it- NO. I know that is a design issue but it would take all the issues away at another date. How often do hvac guys go in there and add a gas appliance using csst?

Well back goldie

Status
Not open for further replies.