Generac / CableMaster Power Composite Installation Cable - TC-ER (Exposed Run)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDSPARK58

Generac Power Systems had CableMaster make them 2 different sizes of Power Composite Installation Cable for generator installations. We have been using this cable with cable glands from the ATS to the Generator on short runs (less than 6 feet). We have had several different results in jurisdictions. First inspection failed and we emailed the cut sheet to the inspector and he then passed it. Next few just passed. The current inspection has failed and the inspector says it is TC cable and can't be ran in this way, we would have to install tray to the generator. Why would Generac and CableMaster manufacture this cable for this use if it can't be installed this way. Is anyone else seen or using this cable?

Specs:
Product Specifications:
Type:
Power Composite Installation Cable - TC-ER (Exposed Run)
600 Volts, 90?C dry, 75? wet
TFFN Conductors (PVC/Nylon)
PVC Jacket
UL Listed 1277 Type TC-ER
FT4 / IEEE 1202, Sunlight Resistant, Direct Burial
Color Coded to Generac Home Standby Generator Models 20 kW - 22 kW Control Panel Wiring

I. Scope:
This specification covers the construction requirements of multi-conductor power cables in accordance with Underwriters Laboratories, Inc. Standard 1277, (UL) Listed as Type TC-ER. (Exposed Run)
The construction consists of stranded, bare copper conductors with Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC) insulation and nylon jacket. The conductors are cabled together and have a sunlight resistant, Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC) jacket. - Sequential Marking
II. Uses:
These cables are suitable for use installed in cable trays and raceways or when supported by a messenger wire. Voltage ratings not to exceeding 600 volts and conductor temperatures not to exceed 90?C dry or 75?C wet.
Cables pass the UL 1277 Vertical Tray Flame Test and the IEEE 1202/FT4 flame test.

A. Conductor: Stranded Bare Annealed Copper made in Accordance with ASTM B-3, B-8, and B-174
B. Primary Insulation: The conductors are UL Type TFFN (18 AWG) Type THHN/THWN (3 AWG, 6 AWG) per UL 66 with a PVC
insulation and Nylon jacket
C. Control Wire: The insulation shall be colored as follows: 1 Black, 1 Red, 1 Yellow, 1 Yellow/Black, 1 Blue, 1 Red, 1 White
D. Generator Wires: 1 Black, 1 Red, 1 White, 1 Green
E. Cable Assembly: The insulated conductors are cabled together with fillers as necessary
F. Overall Jacket: A flame resistant and sunlight resistant PVC jacket is applied to the overall construction
G. Cable Identification: Type: Surface print on jacket
Ink Color: White
Legend: POWER & CONTROL TRAY CABLE 3 AWG (26.67mm2) 3/C & 6 AWG (13.3mm2) 1/GRND
& 18 AWG (.82mm2) 6/C TC-ER E79496 (UL) 600V 90C DRY/75C WET OIL RES I SUNLIGHT
RESISTANT DIRECT BURIAL GENERAC P/N CRLHSB-2022

Attachments

• Capture1.jpg
    Capture1.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 8

FREEBALL

I used the exact cable a few months ago. Actually the Generac distributor that did the start up and maintenance turned me onto it. He said that they pull it right in with the generator feed to the ATS, I had run a separate conduit. But he said they use it for all installations in conduit and not. I know its a lot cheaper than buying individual conductors and pulling.

shortcircuit2

This part here may raise questions...

II. Uses:
These cables are suitable for use installed in cable trays and raceways or when supported by a messenger wire.

The part about messenger wire. So if not in a Tray or Raceway, open runs need a messenger wire.

SDSPARK58

I used the exact cable a few months ago. Actually the Generac distributor that did the start up and maintenance turned me onto it. He said that they pull it right in with the generator feed to the ATS, I had run a separate conduit. But he said they use it for all installations in conduit and not. I know its a lot cheaper than buying individual conductors and pulling.

It sounds like you used the 7 conductor control cable. This has 6 control cables and the 4 feeder cables all in one.

MasterTheNEC

CEO and President of Electrical Code Academy, Inc.
Occupation
CEO
Et All,

As a producer of such a cable I will tell you exactly what many jurisdictions are worried about. The use of Type TC Cable inside is prohibited unless it is installed in a raceways [336.10(3), cable trays [336.10] and outdoors where supported by a messenger wire [336.10(4)]. In many cases the local installer is using it inside of the building as a convenient wiring method. However, it has not been evaluated for the use they are trying to use it for. The TC-ER is for transitions between cable trays and devices or equipment, if the cable tray or the industrial environment does not exist...then the provision does not exist.

Now back to the reason Generac sells this cable - As I have told tons of installers in the past. The reason is that it may pass in some jurisdictions and it may not in others. If you install it in a raceway then you are fine and they more than likely would reply back to you with the same remark if you do an install and it is rejected. The key issue here is really Section 336.12(2).....this seals the general rule that Type TC Cable is to be installed in raceways or cable trays, except as permitted in 336.10(4) and (7).

The simple answer would be to have UL 1277 changed to permit Type TC Cable to meet the same jacketing requirements of UL 854 and others and to be honest with you....We could submit our Type TC Cable today to UL and it would pass the same test requirements as SE and NM with flying colors...but why do that?...we make all of those products already.

Now if the money was right (it is always about the money, don't kid yourself)...if Generac came to us and said they would buy X number of feet if we went through the CSDS with UL and tried to get Type TC Cable approved for use just like SE or NM Cable inside of buildings then it may be an option. However, at this time all of those products sell very well for their UL intended use and Generac would not be able to buy enough to make it economically possible to go through all the paperwork needed.

Hope that was helpful....just a Wire and Cable Manufacturers perspective.

FREEBALL

Does the 7 conductor have line voltage sense wires, or is it potentially all Class 2?

Yes it included N1 and N2 for sensing and I think T1 for 120v for battery charger. I was set up for pulling all conductors in separate conduit for this but the Generac soul said that this cable was acceptable, so I opted. All conductors should probably be class 2 but I admit the sensing probably should be cl 1. All conductors are rated for the same voltage however. I did pull through conduit so I should be ok as far as that goes.

Last edited:

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Yes it included N1 and N2 for sensing and I think T1 for 120v for battery charger. I was set up for pulling all conductors in separate conduit for this but the Generac soul said that this cable was acceptable, so I opted. All conductors should probably be class 2 but I admit the sensing probably should be cl 1. All conductors are rated for the same voltage however. I did pull through conduit so I should be ok as far as that goes.

Well, technically that will work as long as the power circuits are related to the control circuits AND the control circuits do not actually require the use of a Class 2 power supply. Once you re-identify the wiring as Class 1 you cannot use it to feed any Class 2 rated loads.

Status
Not open for further replies.