Closet Light Options

Status
Not open for further replies.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.
i need to add a closet light (coat closet). i can access ceiling easily to mount box for light but i didnt want to fish down a wall to add box for auto switch. anyone know of a wireless switch solution where the "sensor" is battery operated and the receiver is in ceiling or ceiling box?

Bill Annett

Occupation
Retired ( 2020 ) City Electrical inspector
I have never seen one but you may want to try this. Leviton 9863-SEN Compact Fluorescent Lampholder with Occupancy Sensor with 13W CFL Lamp and Lamp Guard. The ones with out the sensor works great in a closet.

Bill

FionaZuppa

Occupation
the motion sensor (with auto off timer) is ideal, this way it can still go on when door is opened from the non-fully-closed position.

are there any can fixtures that include motion sensor ?? that would be ideal and cleanest install.

the Leviton item may just be the ticket.... thanks.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Missed the "can" part. :(
I can see some mechanical problems with building the sensor into a can. The sensor would have to be outside the lamp enclosure, making for a trim with a wart.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Missed the "can" part. :(
I can see some mechanical problems with building the sensor into a can. The sensor would have to be outside the lamp enclosure, making for a trim with a wart.

the pimple would be accepted as trade-off for functionality, etc. an Air Tight LED retro (with sensor) for a std can would be ideal. i am searching around...... might need to go with the dual ceiling box to get the clean look with LED that i am after.... thanks.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
i need to add a closet light (coat closet). i can access ceiling easily to mount box for light but i didnt want to fish down a wall to add box for auto switch. anyone know of a wireless switch solution where the "sensor" is battery operated and the receiver is in ceiling or ceiling box?

We just did something similar with a lutron Maestro switch we installed in the attic and then used the remote control in the living area. The Pico remotes can be used with a mounting plate and decora cover so it looks like a switch. No holes to cut.

858535_primary_4.jpg

FionaZuppa

Occupation
the pico doesnt have sensor in it, and maestro requires its own box. i am leaning towards the occupancy type of devices, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.