Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sand Gas Line to bare metal

Sand Gas Line to bare metal

Is there a specific code reference that says when bonding black iron it has to be sanded to bare metal? or is this up to the AHJ?

Thank all,
    Cheers,
    WROBO

I was always under the impression that the clamp is designed to go on the pipe without modification of the pipe. Now if the pipe after installation is painted you might need to remove the paint.
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

AFAIK the "teeth" in those bonding clamps are partly there to bite through paint, rust, etc.

You sand off any coatings on the pipe and you invite corrosion to the parts not engaged by the "teeth".

True, but black iron has no coating that is protective. If there is rust or paint I would sand it off.

Why are you bonding a gas line anyway?

-Hal

I've never bonded a gas line in my life.

Quote Originally Posted by peter d View Post
    I've never bonded a gas line in my life.
    How often to you have to educate inspectors that the gas line is bonded by the EGC serving the appliance? In my experience, there are only like 6 inspectors in the country that know that one
    Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

"You can't generalize"

CSST bonds are connected to the small section of black pipe adjacent to the meter everyday around here.
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

Quote Originally Posted by electrofelon View Post
    How often to you have to educate inspectors that the gas line is bonded by the EGC serving the appliance? In my experience, there are only like 6 inspectors in the country that know that one
    Post #7 (after yours) is part of the key. We finally get the point across that the EGC can serve as the bond then the CSST rules come into play and we have to use that word "except".
    My experience when there are variables, such as here or one vs two rods, etc., some contractors just tell there men to take the cautious road rather than have to go back.
    At my age, I'm accustomed to restaurants asking me to pay in advance, but now my bank has started sending me their calendar one month at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by hbiss View Post
    True, but black iron has no coating that is protective. ...
    Depends on what you consider protective. The black is lacquer. It'll prevent rust in damp locations.
    I will have achieved my life's goal if I die with a smile on my face.

Quote Originally Posted by Smart $ View Post
    Depends on what you consider protective. The black is lacquer. It'll prevent rust in damp locations.
    I was going to ask what makes it black, because it isn't black below the surface.