Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: Panels in Commercial Kitchen

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Flagler Beach, FL
    Posts
    48

    Panels in Commercial Kitchen

    I am estimating a small (mom and pop) grocery build-out and the plan show the two existing panels being in the kitchen. The working space about the panels meets code, However, I'm not sure if the location is going to fly because the closest thing to the panels, only a couple feet away on either side, are the dish washing sinks! This falls directly under 110.28, and would be considered a wet location and I need to either put in my bid the relocation of the panels, or the installation of Nema 4 panels, correct? Probably answered my own question, but would love some discussion about it.
    ~Joshua

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min without traffic from winged horses.
    Posts
    8,473
    I don't think there's a problem with panels next to the dishwasher and most likely it is not a damp or wet location.
    Once in a while you get shown the light
    In the strangest of places if you look at it right. Robert Hunter

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    744
    Bid it like it's drawn....ask questions later

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Aspen, Colo
    Posts
    1,954
    while in normal condition - the dishwasher is rinsing dishes - will the panel be sprayed -- will the have excessive moisture build up?
    CircuitRyder --- Unfortunately not all good ideas are code enforceable.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Flagler Beach, FL
    Posts
    48
    It is not a dishwasher, rather, a person washing dishes in a huge dish washing area. I imagine there will be a lot of splashing, moisture, etc... It's definitely something that would give me great pause if I were the inspector.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Flagler Beach, FL
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by cdslotz View Post
    Bid it like it's drawn....ask questions later
    Wouldn't it reflect good on me to catch this at this stage and make provisions for it? A big change order after a contract price was agreed upon, or after an inspector fails it in the late stages of the job?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min without traffic from winged horses.
    Posts
    8,473
    Quote Originally Posted by dibloafer View Post
    It is not a dishwasher, rather, a person washing dishes in a huge dish washing area. I imagine there will be a lot of splashing, moisture, etc... It's definitely something that would give me great pause if I were the inspector.
    Some water gets splashed around, that's not really a reason to not put a panel there. Is somebody going to throw buckets of water at the panel? Turn on a hose and aim it?
    Once in a while you get shown the light
    In the strangest of places if you look at it right. Robert Hunter

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Atlanta,GA
    Posts
    5,398
    Mom and Pop operation, dishwashing sink. They probably won't even get used.

    I'm kind of joking but one of the restaurants around hear got something like a 32 on their heatlh inspection.

    The only inspection that may fail a panel for location is the health inspector. It wouldn't be easy to clean the grease and crud off an electrical panel and breakers. Anything in a wash down area might be considered a damp location.
    The 95% of people that you can't trust give the other 5% a bad name.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Flagler Beach, FL
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by ActionDave View Post
    Some water gets splashed around, that's not really a reason to not put a panel there. Is somebody going to throw buckets of water at the panel? Turn on a hose and aim it?
    I guess not. The location of the panels just looks very suspect on the drawing, but there is no solid code violation. I can just see some AHJ's (including myself, if I were one) being a tightwad about it.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Flagler Beach, FL
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by growler View Post
    Mom and Pop operation, dishwashing sink. They probably won't even get used.




Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •