Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Panels in Commercial Kitchen

Panels in Commercial Kitchen

I am estimating a small (mom and pop) grocery build-out and the plan show the two existing panels being in the kitchen. The working space about the panels meets code, However, I'm not sure if the location is going to fly because the closest thing to the panels, only a couple feet away on either side, are the dish washing sinks! This falls directly under 110.28, and would be considered a wet location and I need to either put in my bid the relocation of the panels, or the installation of Nema 4 panels, correct? Probably answered my own question, but would love some discussion about it.
    ~Joshua

Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min without traffic from winged horses.
    I don't think there's a problem with panels next to the dishwasher and most likely it is not a damp or wet location.
    Once in a while you get shown the light
    In the strangest of places if you look at it right. Robert Hunter

Bid it like it's drawn....ask questions later

while in normal condition - the dishwasher is rinsing dishes - will the panel be sprayed -- will the have excessive moisture build up?
    CircuitRyder --- Unfortunately not all good ideas are code enforceable.

It is not a dishwasher, rather, a person washing dishes in a huge dish washing area. I imagine there will be a lot of splashing, moisture, etc... It's definitely something that would give me great pause if I were the inspector.

Quote Originally Posted by cdslotz View Post
    Bid it like it's drawn....ask questions later
    Wouldn't it reflect good on me to catch this at this stage and make provisions for it? A big change order after a contract price was agreed upon, or after an inspector fails it in the late stages of the job?

Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min without traffic from winged horses.
    Quote Originally Posted by dibloafer View Post
    It is not a dishwasher, rather, a person washing dishes in a huge dish washing area. I imagine there will be a lot of splashing, moisture, etc... It's definitely something that would give me great pause if I were the inspector.
    Some water gets splashed around, that's not really a reason to not put a panel there. Is somebody going to throw buckets of water at the panel? Turn on a hose and aim it?
    Once in a while you get shown the light
    In the strangest of places if you look at it right. Robert Hunter

Mom and Pop operation, dishwashing sink. They probably won't even get used.

I'm kind of joking but one of the restaurants around hear got something like a 32 on their heatlh inspection.

The only inspection that may fail a panel for location is the health inspector. It wouldn't be easy to clean the grease and crud off an electrical panel and breakers. Anything in a wash down area might be considered a damp location.
    The 95% of people that you can't trust give the other 5% a bad name.

Quote Originally Posted by ActionDave View Post
    Some water gets splashed around, that's not really a reason to not put a panel there. Is somebody going to throw buckets of water at the panel? Turn on a hose and aim it?
    I guess not. The location of the panels just looks very suspect on the drawing, but there is no solid code violation. I can just see some AHJ's (including myself, if I were one) being a tightwad about it.

Quote Originally Posted by growler View Post
    Mom and Pop operation, dishwashing sink. They probably won't even get used.