Closet Lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
There isn't any electrical code that requires a switch for a closet light however why would you not have a switch?

Part-Time

that is a very good question

that is a very good question

There isn't any electrical code that requires a switch for a closet light however why would you not have a switch?

not sure why you would not, just had some one ask me about it.
if it was required i could not find anything so that's why i am here

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I may be way off base on this one but I think the OP is asking about a wall switch.
Yes, and I thought he was asking if it was required but why would it matter otherwise without a switch it would be on all the time. Maybe I am missing something

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
So you are suggesting to leave the light on all the time
Probably more useful than leaving it off all the time, I guess.
When you need to get into the closet to change clothes in the middle of the night you would not have to fumble for a switch. And the light leaking around the door would help you find it.
Energy codes, if they come into play in a particular region, would probably require an occupancy sensor or automatic shutoff, but would not require a manual switch to turn the light on in the first place.
I can imagine the energy codes would be satisfied with a timer that shut the light off some number of minutes after the breaker was turned on, with no local way to turn it back on again. :)

GerryB

I have put in some closet motion lights, plastic cover, pin florescent bulb. They come set for 3 minutes. Haven't had any recalls, except the one in my closet comes on sometimes when the furnace kicks on:?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I have put in some closet motion lights, plastic cover, pin florescent bulb. They come set for 3 minutes. Haven't had any recalls, except the one in my closet comes on sometimes when the furnace kicks on:?
And you know this since you were standing in the dark in the closet at the time??

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Like said before, I think opening post was inquiring about a wall switch vs pull chain fixture.
I think the questioned is answered as there is no code on that but the op didn't state that info. I would never use a pull chain in a closet by choice but I realize that some people don't want the expense or the possibilities of install may be costly

Closet light switch

Closet light switch

As far as code requirements goes, there is no requirement saying that you have to have one. I'm assuming that you are wanting to put/keep a keyed fixture in the closet. Biggest thing with that is to remember your space restrictions for uncovered surface mounted incandescents.

Dan

JDB3

I reckon that I go back toooo far. Like it was said, pull chain fixtures were done to save money. The house I grew up in (my father was born in, in 1907), had pull chain light fixtures in the bedrooms. And 1 receptacle in the bedroom.:)

kwired

Electron manager
As far as code requirements goes, there is no requirement saying that you have to have one. I'm assuming that you are wanting to put/keep a keyed fixture in the closet. Biggest thing with that is to remember your space restrictions for uncovered surface mounted incandescents.

Dan
Space restrictions would only apply to clothes closets for the most part. Though some of the items stored in some other closets still deserve similar design considerations IMO.

I reckon that I go back toooo far. Like it was said, pull chain fixtures were done to save money. The house I grew up in (my father was born in, in 1907), had pull chain light fixtures in the bedrooms. And 1 receptacle in the bedroom.:)
Those old pull chains were built better. Today's pull chain switches don't last nearly as long before the pull chain breaks - and over time this really makes a wall switch cost less to own, especially if hiring a professional to replace it every couple years or even less then that.

mwm1752

Dan

410.16 Luminaires in Clothes Closets
(A) Luminai re Types Permitted. Only luminaires of the following types shall be permitted in a closet:
(1) Surface-mounted or recessed incandescent or LED luminaires with completely enclosed light sources
No open lamps allowed is how I read it ---

kwired

Electron manager
410.16 Luminaires in Clothes Closets
(A) Luminai re Types Permitted. Only luminaires of the following types shall be permitted in a closet:
(1) Surface-mounted or recessed incandescent or LED luminaires with completely enclosed light sources
No open lamps allowed is how I read it ---

Correct, but has nothing to do with pull chain switches - they are used on more then just open lamp luminaires.

mwm1752

FYI thats why I replied with a quote -- to be specific to quote which had info towards "uncovered surface mounted incandescents" while the OP wasn't specific with wall switch -- I see alot of Jam Switches here

Status
Not open for further replies.