200 amp sub feed

Status
Not open for further replies.

desilu

I have upgraded to a 400amp panel and have run a 200 amp sub feed for a pool house 200ft from main panel. I have a 200 amp breaker in main panel for the sub run, do I need the sub panel to have a 200amp breaker as well, or can it be just the main lug type? Part two to the question is, due to framing changes the sub panel is now going to be on the exterior of the building, can I install a interior sub panel with a shanti cover?

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
When you have a separate structure then you need a main disconnect at that structure.

What is a shanti cover?

desilu

So I will Need a breaker at both ends...thanks. A shanti is a frame with a cover that would be installed over the sub panel before stucco is applied. I saw it used once but wasn't sure if it was code approved

desilu

Thank you, I was unsure if I needed two breakers (one at main and one at sub) I was a shanti a couple of times it is just a framed cover installed over sub panel before stucco and has a lid that hinges up to gain access to sub panel. just unsure if it was code to use.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
To be clear, the sub panel does not need to have a main breaker. Rather, the building needs to have a disconnecting means. It is just that putting a main breaker in the panel is likely to be the easiest way to meet the requirement.

desilu

thank you both. Yes the panel is an interior panel. I have not been able to find a semi flush 200 amp sub panel. Trying to stay away from flush mount exterior panel for aesthetic looks

Status
Not open for further replies.