120-volt LED 4' T8 Lamps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravenvalor

Hello,

I've just learned that 120-volt LED 4' T8 Lamps no longer meet code. This seems irrational to me and smells like politics. Does anyone know if lamp manufacturers are working on a 120-volt LED 4' T8 Lamp that will meet the new code requirements?
My hunch would be that a fuse installed in the lamp would do the trick.

Thank you,

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Hello,

I've just learned that 120-volt LED 4' T8 Lamps no longer meet code. This seems irrational to me and smells like politics. Does anyone know if lamp manufacturers are working on a 120-volt LED 4' T8 Lamp that will meet the new code requirements?
My hunch would be that a fuse installed in the lamp would do the trick.

Thank you,
Where did you learn this? And what version of NEC or energy code is being cited? Or is it a UL listing issue?

Ravenvalor

Where did you learn this? And what version of NEC or energy code is being cited? Or is it a UL listing issue?

The sales person at Platt.com told me. Unfortunately I did not press him for details because I assumed that he would not know.
All he said was that the people who wrote the code did not want 120-volt at the sockets.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
These units are UL listed so unless there is a TIA I don't see an issue with them. Got the following from here

Self-ballasted lamps are evaluated per UL 1993, a tri-national standard covering fluorescent and LED lamps for use in the U.S., Canada, and Mexico. This standard has a full complement of safeguards to protect against the risk of electric shock and fire. As with all UL standards, the requirements are overseen by a technical panel that includes representation from safety labs (such as UL, CSA, and Intertek), manufacturers, inspection authorities, government officials, distributors, retailers, consumers, and academicians. It is open to periodic revision through a deliberate and transparent process.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I wish they would outlaw them....especially if they're bypassing the ballast and bringing line voltage to the tombstones to make them operate.

I've always felt there should be a requirement for some type of label on the fixture letting the follow up person knows that the fixture has been altered.

Maybe some sort of label that would indicate, "line voltage to the sockets" or "Ballast has been bypassed" or whatever the Jackleg did to it before you got there.

Its getting to where you don't know what type of fixture your dealing with now, until you dig completely into it.

JAP>

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
So what is the voltage on the sockets from an electronic or magnetic ballast?
Possibly much note than 120V with the tube removed. But at least it is current limited to a potentially lethal but not arc flash producing level.
However if you plug in a standard tube it will self destruct in an impressive way.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
And, of course, even without someone bypassing the ballast you can put in a lamp that is not compatible with the ballast. The failure is just slower.

But that mistake would be the result of ones own ignorance, not somebody elses....:)
The retrofit thing really only makes a difference if you come across a fixture that's been jacked with that doesn't have the retrofit lamp still in it.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
But that mistake would be the result of ones own ignorance, not somebody elses....:)
The retrofit thing really only makes a difference if you come across a fixture that's been jacked with that doesn't have the retrofit lamp still in it.
And you do due diligence to determine whether the retro tube is drop-in or self ballasted. :)

jap

Occupation
Electrician
And you do due diligence to determine whether the retro tube is drop-in or self ballasted. :)

Exactly,,, which is just extra steps and time that never had to be taken prior to the whole self ballasted issue came around.

Used to you could pretty well tell from the surface,,,, now a days you'd better do more checking or be prepared to witnesss the consequences when you go to install the lamp you think it's supposed to have.:)

Ravenvalor

Exactly,,, which is just extra steps and time that never had to be taken prior to the whole self ballasted issue came around.

Used to you could pretty well tell from the surface,,,, now a days you'd better do more checking or be prepared to witnesss the consequences when you go to install the lamp you think it's supposed to have.:)

Lesson learned at least the easy way. If it's a LED lamp, check the voltage.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Lesson learned at least the easy way. If it's a LED lamp, check the voltage.

Actually, the lesson is learned when you install a flourescent or HID lamp in socket that has been wired to line voltage instead of ballasted. sometimes that lesson is learned so fast you'll never forget it.
:)

JAP>

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Actually, the lesson is learned when you install a flourescent or HID lamp in socket that has been wired to line voltage instead of ballasted. sometimes that lesson is learned so fast you'll never forget it.
:)

JAP>
Do you recommend wearing PPE when turning the light on? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.