Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: panelboard as Jbox

Is the SER in this case service conductors or a feeder? I would expect it to be a feeder and not subject to 230.7. SEU on the other hand...

Quote Originally Posted by Leespark57 View Post
    Is the SER in this case service conductors or a feeder? I would expect it to be a feeder and not subject to 230.7. SEU on the other hand...
    I don't think you ever told us what was ahead of the existing panel.

jap>

The panelboard that is now a jbox is still on the backside of the meter can. So the SER cable is service entrance cables that was feeding the panelboard. i ran conduit around the corner and into new panelboard for service cable. So the old panelboard i.e. new jbox has the service cables in the top and branch circuits in the bottom.

Your AHJ have any specific limitations on how far service conductors can enter a building?

@kwired, I don't know, this is the first time I've had to do this. I don't know how the original install was ever permitted, about 12" of clearance in front of original panelboard to HVAC ductwork. It had to be moved. So I guess I'll see what inspector says

If this is a single phase panel then SEU is the proper name for the cable running from the meter to the fiorst disconnect. If there is an exterior panel or breaker then you would use SER to the interior panel and that would not be service conductors. It seems like there is confusion naming the cable. Ser- 2 hots, insulated neutral and bare ground, SEU has 2 hots and a bare neutral
    They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
    She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
    I can't help it if I'm lucky