Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: panelboard as Jbox

panelboard as Jbox

I need to move a panelboard around the corner from its existing location, because it is behind the heating ductwork with only 12" clearance, can I strip the guts from the existing panelboard and use it as a JBOX so i dont have to rewire all the home runs? I read 312.8 about this and it seems this section is discussing if it was still switchgear or an existing panelboard. Any thoughts or experience?

Once you remove the internal buswork and other components from the existing panelboard, it is no longer a panelboard. Therefore, 312.8 will no longer apply. You will simply have an empty enclosure. I know of no reason it could not serve as a junction box. The only possible issue could be whether the enclosure would retain whatever listing might be appropriate for a junction box. Someone else will have to speak to that question.

Welcome to the forum.
    Charles E. Beck, P.E., Seattle
    Comments based on 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted.

I've seen this done quite a few times and inspectors around here allow it. The only thing is they usually make us bolt shut any lid that opens without tools and mark the old box as having no breakers or fuses.

I don't see anywhere in 314, that a junction box in a dry location needs to be listed.
    Tim
    Master Electrician
    New England
    Yesterday's Technology at Tomorrow's Prices

The enclosure is a "cabinet", is defined in art 100 and is covered by art 312.

The assembly installed inside that contains bus bars and overcurrent devices is the "panelboard".

Nothing in 312 says it must be listed either - unless it is a non metallic cabinet.

I have even mounted terminal blocks inside when using as a splice box a few times just because that is neater install, reality is only electricians that come in after you are those that will notice or care.

Quote Originally Posted by jaggedben View Post
    I've seen this done quite a few times and inspectors around here allow it. The only thing is they usually make us bolt shut any lid that opens without tools and mark the old box as having no breakers or fuses.
    I've seen it around here too. I would add that none of those things are required by the NEC.
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

Thanks for the info guys, anyone see a problem the SER cable running through the top of that enclosure on its way to the new panelboard? I can't think of any violation with that either.

Quote Originally Posted by DLP1911 View Post
    Thanks for the info guys, anyone see a problem the SER cable running through the top of that enclosure on its way to the new panelboard? I can't think of any violation with that either.
    If it a service, then that is a problem. Maybe you can put in a barrier.
    The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain

@dkidd for my info can you give me the reference on that? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DLP1911 View Post
    @dkidd for my info can you give me the reference on that? Thanks

JAP>