Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: NEC 700.10(D)(1) - Emergency feeder

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    702

    NEC 700.10(D)(1) - Emergency feeder

    If the emergency generator locates indoor and we want to run the overhead feeder from generator to main emergency distribution panel (located in another room) and meet NEC 700.10(D)(1) without using concrete encased method, are there any products out there that meet the two hour fire rating wiring requirement per code? Thank you.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Westchester County NY
    Posts
    249
    Take a look a Vitalink MC Cable

    http://www.omnicable.com/spec-sheets...wer-cable.html

    Also MI Cable is an option.

    Draka has a 2 hour rated cable but I think its only listed 2 hours in a vertical application.

    Is the room sprinkled? Install the feeder under the sprinklers. That's another option

    Joe Villani

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    702
    Also does feeder of 3 branches of essential power system in hospital need to comply with this rule?
    Anyone knows?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by anbm View Post
    Also does feeder of 3 branches of essential power system in hospital need to comply with this rule?
    Anyone knows?
    You will most likely need to dig through NFPA 99, to some extent, based on this amendment that was issued http://www.nfpa.org/assets/files/Abo..._NFPA%2070.pdf

    You are better off following the link and reading, than me trying to summarize it.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    6,601
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Villani View Post
    Take a look a Vitalink MC Cable

    http://www.omnicable.com/spec-sheets...wer-cable.html

    Also MI Cable is an option.

    Draka has a 2 hour rated cable but I think its only listed 2 hours in a vertical application.

    Is the room sprinkled? Install the feeder under the sprinklers. That's another option

    Joe Villani
    I have a hard time believing MC cable is 2 hour rated, but it looks legit. The referenced UL assembly even states vitalink:

    http://database.ul.com/cgi-bin/XYV/t...053.1500039230

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by steve66 View Post
    I have a hard time believing MC cable is 2 hour rated, but it looks legit. The referenced UL assembly even states vitalink:

    http://database.ul.com/cgi-bin/XYV/t...053.1500039230
    It might have to still be protected in some sort of EMT or other allowable raceway based on 517.30(C)(3)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,218
    Quote Originally Posted by LIM View Post
    It might have to still be protected in some sort of EMT or other allowable raceway based on 517.30(C)(3)
    MI cable is listed in in 577(C)(3)(1). MC seems to need protection unless

    (3) Listed flexible metal raceways and listed metal sheathed
    cable assemblies in any of the following:
    a. Where used in listed prefabricated medical headwalls
    b. In listed office furnishings
    c. Where fished into existing walls or ceilings, not otherwise
    accessible and not subject to physical damage
    d. Where necessary for flexible connection to equipment
    The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    6,601
    Quote Originally Posted by LIM View Post
    It might have to still be protected in some sort of EMT or other allowable raceway based on 517.30(C)(3)
    Yes, for a hospital unless one of the exceptions in the previous post apply.

    Quote Originally Posted by anbm View Post
    Also does feeder of 3 branches of essential power system in hospital need to comply with this rule?
    Anyone knows?
    Yes, I would think so. I've always considered the exception for sprinklers to apply in most hospitals 700.10(1)(1). However, I've noticed the 2017 Handbook adds a commentary note that states that if the feeders are installed above a suspended ceiling, the area above the ceiling must also be sprinklered!!

    That's a new one!! I'm not sure I agree with that interpretation, but I guess I'll be following it from now on.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •