Thread: Butane THC Extract Facility

Butane THC Extract Facility

I recently retired for the electrical contracting business and took a part time position as an electrical inspector and plans reviewer for a small city and country on the Oregon coast. I am currently reviewing a set of plans for a commercial closed- loop butane cannabis extraction facility, together with related packaging, distribution and office uses.

The electrical plans are vague at best. After requesting additional information from the engineering firm and again getting very little detailed information in return, I am having serious doubts on their expertise with this type of process.
    I was told by the building official that the State of Oregon is in the process of writing safety and installation guidelines for these type of facilities. Who knows how long this will take.

Is there any standard installation guidelines for this type of facility that I could use to help with this plan review?

Attached is a video of a commercial butane extraction facility explosion. Scary stuff.

Thanks in advance everyone.

http://www.thecannabist.co/2016/03/1...plosion/50212/

Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min without traffic from winged horses.
    There is no need to use butane to extract thc unless you have no other means or skills. Street level guys are the ones who use this process, kind of like the old bath tub gin crowd, don't get involved.

Any other mod is free to override me and reopen this thread but I'm closing it.
    Once in a while you get shown the light
    In the strangest of places if you look at it right. Robert Hunter

Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min without traffic from winged horses.
    This THC extraction process is currently being used in the state of Colorado, Washington and now Oregon for commercial extraction. These facilities are not a bunch of fly-by-night businesses. They are regulated by their respective states.
    I posted to try and get additional information from the vast electrical knowledge base that we all call Mike Holt Forums. These type of facilities are not going away. Their numbers will grow and I just what to make sure that they are installed per NEC codes and that they are safe for people and property.

I ask that you reconsider your closing of this thread.

Thank you Dave.

Steven
    After an exchange of PMs I have decided to re-open this thread.
    Once in a while you get shown the light
    In the strangest of places if you look at it right. Robert Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by ActionDave View Post
    After an exchange of PMs I have decided to re-open this thread.
    Thank you Dave.

Steven

I confess I have no experience with extracting THC in any manner (including smoking it for those of you that would wish to press the issue); I do however, have a fair amount of hazardous location design experience.

Were it not for the butane the design would not be much different from any light industrial process facility. Butane adds Articles 500 and 501 to the mix. The first issue would be Section 500.4(A) which demands proper documentation for the classified locations. Unless the basis for classification can be cited, it is not proper. If the NEC alone is cited, it is clear evidence of not being qualified. Only facilities under the scopes of Articles 511 to 516 can be classified directly from the NEC. Even then that is often not enough.

Once proper classification has been established, Article 501 kicks in. I can help with that if necessary.
    "Bob"
    Robert B. Alexander, P.E.
    Answers based on 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted.

Quote Originally Posted by rbalex View Post
    I confess I have no experience with extracting THC in any manner (including smoking it for those of you that would wish to press the issue); I do however, have a fair amount of hazardous location design experience.

Were it not for the butane the design would not be much different from any light industrial process facility. Butane adds Articles 500 and 501 to the mix. The first issue would be Section 500.4(A) which demands proper documentation for the classified locations. Unless the basis for classification can be cited, it is not proper. If the NEC alone is cited, it is clear evidence of not being qualified. Only facilities under the scopes of Articles 511 to 516 can be classified directly from the NEC. Even then that is often not enough.

Once proper classification has been established, Article 501 kicks in. I can help with that if necessary.
    Sounds like they need a PE with hazops experience to review their proposed installation. Say Bob, Oregon's not that far away from you...

Huntington Beach, CA (19 Hrs. 22 Min. from Winged Horses)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadfly56 View Post
    Sounds like they need a PE with hazops experience to review their proposed installation. Say Bob, Oregon's not that far away from you...
    yep, and he'd be flying in an aircraft. so now
    there is immigration to deal with. probably cavity searches.

on the other hand, there is stupid money being made in the
    loco weed industry right now. i've done lighting certifications
    on dispensaries that do over $150k a day in retail. cash.

so there is money there bob.... looks like a sparkly consulting
    fee.... and they will probably want to pay in cash.....
    ~New signature under construction.~
    ~~~~Please excuse the mess.~~~~