All Neutrals together multi-circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I don't think so, Dennis. I think he has two MWBCs that have no connection to each other. Here is how he describes it:
For each of the two separate MWBCs, you have one neutral leaving the panel connecting to three neutrals leaving in three separate directions. The fact that the two wire nuts, each connecting the 4 white wires from its own MWBC, are installed in the same junction box does not change the (apparent - to me at least - but I still may be missing something) fact that the two MWBCs are independent of each other.

:thumbsup:
And as long as the wire nut is the point where a properly wired MWBC splits up in to three runs, each with one phase and a dedicated neutral, there would be nothing wrong with that setup.

Cletis

I don't think so, Dennis. I think he has two MWBCs that have no connection to each other. Here is how he describes it:
For each of the two separate MWBCs, you have one neutral leaving the panel connecting to three neutrals leaving in three separate directions. The fact that the two wire nuts, each connecting the 4 white wires from its own MWBC, are installed in the same junction box does not change the (apparent - to me at least - but I still may be missing something) fact that the two MWBCs are independent of each other.

Yes, you are correct in the second quote about my example.

Note: This is one of the better cases i've seen on this. The worst was a total of about 7 circuits in 1 large 9 11/16 box with a 9 11/16ext box on it. 3 circuits were from 1-3 pole breakers (3 lines/1neutral), 2 circuits on a 2 pole with 1 neutral, and 2 single pole breakers with 2 circuits and 2 neutrals. Somehow, someone just managed to squeeze a boatload of neutrals on a bluewirenut. Whoa ! :lol:

FREEBALL

just asking, but what if you deenergize a circuit downstream to work on it say a 277v lighting circuit, or any circuit using a neutral in that scenario, thinking its deenergized. isn't there the potential to be thrown off your ladder.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Only if you interrupt the neutral(s) that run back to the panel. At that point any and all of the circuits whose neutrals are tied together can energize the neutrals. If you interrupt only one of several neutrals going back to the panel you will just fail to disconnect the neutral path completely.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
3 circuits were from 1-3 pole breakers (3 lines/1neutral), 2 circuits on a 2 pole with 1 neutral, and 2 single pole breakers with 2 circuits and 2 neutrals. Somehow, someone just managed to squeeze a boatload of neutrals on a bluewirenut.
Now you have me confused. Did you just change the subject? I had thought you were talking about the 4 neutral wires associated with one MWBC not being connected to the 4 neutral wires associated with the other MWBC. This time it seems that all neutrals are tied together. That would not be legal or safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.