Thread: Protection of array conductors.

Protection of array conductors.

I want to say that one cycle of the the NEC allows expanded metal mounted to the bottom side of an array to be used to protect the open conductors from access by unauthorized personnel but I fail to find that Section. I have an array operating at >600v with exposed conductors running between panels. Can someone advise of the appropriate section.
    At my age, I'm accustomed to restaurants asking me to pay in advance, but now my bank has started sending me their calendar one month at a time.

690.31(A) has has the word 'guarded' in it for a few cycles, I believe. Not sure what you mean by 'expanded metal' but that would seem to meet the requirement. If the array is not readily accessible (e.g. rooftop requiring a portable ladder to reach) then protection isn't required.

These are ground mounted arrays with wiring below 6 ft.
    I think I found the wording in question. You provided the location and the '14 Code added wording:
    "Where PV source and output circuits operating at maximum system voltages greater than 30 volts are installed in readily accessible locations, circuit conductors shall be guarded or installed in a raceway."
    Thanks
    Last edited by augie47; 05-17-17 at 08:17 AM.
    At my age, I'm accustomed to restaurants asking me to pay in advance, but now my bank has started sending me their calendar one month at a time.

The situation is complicated as I have a ground array, no more than 8 ft off the ground in an unsecured location with PV conductors operating well above 600 v.
    I can't see where 110.30 differentiates Solar Systems voltages over 600 and substation voltages over 600. Seems like perhaps they should be (different) but I don't see it.
    Last edited by augie47; 05-18-17 at 04:47 AM.