Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Max number of wireless smoke detectors in a multi-family

Quote Originally Posted by K8MHZ View Post
    We used wireless alarms. Each apartment was set up with it's own digital ID. In the basement, (common area) we installed four alarms a few inches from each other, one for each apartment system. That way, an alarm in an apartment wouldn't set off the alarm in another apartment, but smoke in the common area would set off all of them.
    If I were going to do this without a fire alarm system, this makes the most sense to me. I would not want one apartment setting off the alarm in another apartment. A few times burning toast and the fire department showing up because someone called and the fines will start piling up.
    Dale

Quote Originally Posted by veerasam View Post
    Just to clarify the context: It is a 1920's building in original structure. No sprinklers. The building was re-plumbed and rewired in 2010 when they ran wiring for interconnected smokes. No one lives in basement (it has only a laundry area, electric water heaters and storage). Two floors are above basement. Each floor has two residential units (one on left half and one on right half of the floor).
    The plot thickens. The original prohibition on putting all the dwelling units on the same smoke alarm circuit had two foundations. One was in section 11 of NFPA 72-2007. The other was the prohibition in the NEC on running a circuit between two dwelling units. In the 2010 edition of NFPA 72 that prohibition disappeared, but the NEC still wouldn't let you run wire from domicile A to domicile B. No one apparently considered wireless smoke alarms in all this. So, technically there's no current prohibition that I'm aware of for wireless smoke alarms. However, they went into some detail now on the hookup between the dwelling unit smoke alarms and a premises fire alarm which says that in that case, the dwelling unit sends a supervisory signal to the FACP and does not cause a general alarm.