Electric bender

Status
Not open for further replies.

under8ed

We have had a Greenlee 1818 ratchet bender for about 12 years. It has served us well but the time has come to replace it. I would like to buy an electric rotary one if I can justify the purchase. Is there a particular model that is most cost effective, or one that I should stay away from. For the record, even though we got by with it in a plant setting; would not recommend the 1818 for contractors.

69gp

We have had a Greenlee 1818 ratchet bender for about 12 years. It has served us well but the time has come to replace it. I would like to buy an electric rotary one if I can justify the purchase. Is there a particular model that is most cost effective, or one that I should stay away from. For the record, even though we got by with it in a plant setting; would not recommend the 1818 for contractors.

look for a good used triple nickle AKA Greenlee 555 bender. 2 shoes and you can do emt and rigid from 1/2" to 2" with ease.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
look for a good used triple nickle AKA Greenlee 555 bender. 2 shoes and you can do emt and rigid from 1/2" to 2" with ease.

I agree, we have the 1818 "Chicago" as well as a triple nickel. This would be a good next step for you. I'd love to have one with the digital angle pendant, it looks like a real timesaver getting the bends dialed in to the exact degree.

FREEBALL

greenlee 881 and use a torpedo level and magnetic protractor I bent 4- 8 inch offsets in 4" ridgid almost identical, I say almost because I could see the difference:happyyes: with this beast. Long story short, It was outside exposed on the Central Market in York Pa. The job was a historic building and needed to be neat. They made us use large moguls instead of standard LBs where we went into the building. I had to weld angle iron hangers for support in the building and bolt through the wall, well they made me turn the square washers I made for the outside 90 degrees so it looked like a diamond. Anyway this bender performed great it was old but a simple torpedo level and a protractor worked nice.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
My boss only buys these because they're cheap when compared to the Greenlee's and they're all one piece so no parts to loose. They do work OK but if you can afford it go with the Greenlee.

b2000-cyclone-conduit-bender-1.jpg

http://www.aikencolon.com/Conduit-B...it-Bender-B2000-Cyclone-12in--2in_p_1024.html

E16

Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Buying new, I see the shoes are sold separately;
I don't suppose there is any chance the 1818 shoes are compatible.

No.

Look on craigslist and auctions for used, if you want a cheaper price. 555's are pretty popular, so there are always used ones out there somewhere, you just have to find them.

hugh6177

Having used both the 555 and the 854 Smart Bender, I've got to say that the 854 simplifies things GREATLY, even a decent apprentice can make matching bends every time. Good used 555's bring anywhere from 2K-4K depending on age/shoes/cond/etc. In the same markets, the 854 brings 5-5.5K. (Remember that the 854 COMES with ALL shoes; so to compare apples to apples you have to be at the top of the 555 price range. Personally, I would (and did) buy the 854 before I hung up the tools to sell them instead. That being said, I have a nice 555 in stock for $3,000 (but no 854). (see my post in "For Sale"). If you decide to go with the 854 instead and aren't in a big hurry, I can find you one if you wish. EBAYPIC.JPG

under8ed

It seems unbelievable even to me that I have been in the trade nearly 35 years and have only used an electric rotary bender once. That's what happens when you stay in one place. Worked heavy construction before they were common, but was able to use one belonging to the maintenance dept. of a cement plant before I took my current job. We don't have a method to buy second hand, so I'll need to convince management this is justified. We are a small crew that do the installations in a plant of about 25 hundred employees. I don't ask for much and the timing seems right.
There should be a quote for the 555 waiting for me tomorrow; if it's under 10 grand, it may not need to go all the way to the VP's office.
Wish me luck..

under8ed

Yay!

Yay!

I knew I worked for a world class operation, found out this morning a new 555 with a complete shoe set is on the way!
Should feel like Christmas all over again.

under8ed

I wonder now if they may have sprung for the higher end model had I asked for it. I feel great about the one I'm getting though. We relocate machines so often here that we use busdrop cable for anything less than 60 amps, so we don't need to run conduit everyday.

Status
Not open for further replies.