Thread: Low voltage emt in the wall

Low voltage emt in the wall

So I am running some 1" emt for the low volt guys and will be using the usual plastic bushing on the ends but this specific run will run from above the drop tile ceiling to an adjacent wall (inside the 3.5" metal stud) for a future addition for a TV. Normally I would just throw some bushings on either side and call it good but I have been a local inspector has demanded the low volt pipe in the wall have a box on the end (In the wall) instead of the bushing. This sounds like a picky inspector but I cannot find something in the 08 or 14 nec saying otherwise. Any insight will be much appreciated.

As long as the wires and cables involved are allowed to be run concealed in the wall without raceway, the EMT with bushings may be run simply as a sleeve.

A raceway system, OTOH, must be complete end to end before use, and that would require at least an end connector if not a box.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't metallic conduit used for LV required to be grounded if it is longer than 24" long? I believe Article 800 says this?

you need a box if the wall is 2h rated

Quote Originally Posted by darekelec View Post
    you need a box if the wall is 2h rated
    Or 1 hour rated, for that matter, and the box has to be secured to the structure.

I know what I don't know, and I know where to go to find it!

Quote Originally Posted by Jandkveltman View Post
    So I am running some 1" emt for the low volt guys and will be using the usual plastic bushing on the ends but this specific run will run from above the drop tile ceiling to an adjacent wall (inside the 3.5" metal stud) for a future addition for a TV. Normally I would just throw some bushings on either side and call it good but I have been a local inspector has demanded the low volt pipe in the wall have a box on the end (In the wall) instead of the bushing. This sounds like a picky inspector but I cannot find something in the 08 or 14 nec saying otherwise. Any insight will be much appreciated.

IMO there is nothing that requires a box (or anything else) for something that may happen in the future. You're merely stubbing an empty piece of tubing into a wall.
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

Authority having jurisdiction

I would chose my battles. Throw a box on it and call it a day.