MC 90 degree connector allowed to be concealed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brome54

Hi, first time on the site! I have never been failed for having a mc 90 in a wall until recently. My permit is in the 2011 code cycle. I know that article 348 for FMC says that any angle fitting is required to be accessible. Article 330 for mc does not mention anything in that article about angle fitting or accessibility as it does in 348. My inspector quotes 300.15. The sub part ( Fittings ). This subpart says that fittings have to be accessible. The definition of fitting in article 100 basically states that a fitting is more of a mechanical means of connection and not a electrical connection. It also states that it is made up of a connector, lock nut etc. Assuming the definition of fitting, any connector straight or 90 degree may be classified as a fitting. My understanding was always that when using flex, 90's had to be accessible because you may need to re pull wire through them. MC is a cable and not a conduit and is understood that you would never re pull wire through a cable. So. With that in mind and how the code should be interpreted, is it legal to use a MC 90 degree fitting with it not having to be accessible? Any thoughts or interpretations of the code would be greatly appreciated! Not sure if this is worth going to battle over but just want to know everyone's thought on this.
Thanks!

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Your understanding is correct.

300.15 does not apply at all since its scope covers boxes, conduit bodies and fitting, not connectors. 300.15 (F) says "a fitting shall be permitted in lieu of a box".

That is nothing like "Fittings used for connecting Type MC cable to boxes, cabinets, or other equipment......" in 330.40.

I would talk to the inspector about it and if it. He is incorrect.

david

I do not see any difference in function for a straight box connector or an angle box connector in relation to either needing to be accessible after the cable is installed

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If the MC connector is buried in the wall what difference would it make if it were straight or 90??

mwm1752

I understood the flex 90 deg conn was supposed to be accessible due to it is part of a raceway and has an accessible cover to the wiring similar to an LB -- MC is a cable assembly in which wire cannot be removed or added within the metal sheath. No violation with the MC install.

kwired

Electron manager
I understood the flex 90 deg conn was supposed to be accessible due to it is part of a raceway and has an accessible cover to the wiring similar to an LB -- MC is a cable assembly in which wire cannot be removed or added within the metal sheath. No violation with the MC install.

+1

Smart $

Esteemed Member
+4

A 90 deg connector that the wire has to be pulled thru can not be concealed.
That'd be true for an FMC installation, but as long as the connector is listed for use with MC, that is not the case. For MC use, it is a cable-terminating connector, not a raceway-terminating connector.

You cannot pull the conductor out of the MC armor. You'd have to pull the entire section of MC... armor and all. In order to do that, you'd have to have access to the means by which the MC section was secured, and would thus also have access to the connector. If the MC was fished, you wouldn't need access to the cover to pull the MC section out of the terminal enclosure... you would have had to fish it in with the connector already assembled on the end.

A little common sense goes a long way when implemented properly. :D

brome54

Thanks for all your guys input. I am glad you see it the same way I do! Trying to educate the inspector is the tough job. Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.