Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 15 of 15

Thread: UL Listing on Main Breaker

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NE Nebraska
    Posts
    32,102
    Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    Take note that article 90 is not part of the code nor is any IN. Article 90 is only an introduction to the code, see 90.3 and take note that Article 90 is not shown.
    Yet we often go to 90.2 to see if NEC even applies to a situation. If Art 90 is not part of code how can we use anything in 90.2 to say NEC applies or doesn't apply?


    Second thoughts here, maybe art 90 isn't part of the actual "code" but is still part of NFPA 70, which is how the document is often referred to by the laws when it is adopted as the law

  2. #12
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3,624
    I don't agree that 90 isn't part of the code. Of course it is part of the code.

    I could agree with the point perhaps if it were stated 'Article 90 contains no technical requirements.' And I agree that the subsection quoted does not require anything to be listed; in fact the implication is the opposite.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Fl
    Posts
    16,509
    Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    Yet we often go to 90.2 to see if NEC even applies to a situation. If Art 90 is not part of code how can we use anything in 90.2 to say NEC applies or doesn't apply?


    Second thoughts here, maybe art 90 isn't part of the actual "code" but is still part of NFPA 70, which is how the document is often referred to by the laws when it is adopted as the law
    Quote Originally Posted by jaggedben View Post
    I don't agree that 90 isn't part of the code. Of course it is part of the code.

    I could agree with the point perhaps if it were stated 'Article 90 contains no technical requirements.' And I agree that the subsection quoted does not require anything to be listed; in fact the implication is the opposite.
    Once again, see 90.3, the NEC is comprised of chapters 1 through 9 and informative Annexes, (which are not requirements of the code either) article 90 is simply an informational and explanatory introduction.

    Roger
    Moderator

  4. #14
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3,624
    Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    Once again, see 90.3, the NEC is comprised of chapters 1 through 9 and informative Annexes, (which are not requirements of the code either) article 90 is simply an informational and explanatory introduction.

    Roger
    You are simply wrong about what 90.3 says.

    90.3 This Code is divided into the introduction and nine chapters...
    Emphasis added.

    At any rate, what makes anything in NPFA 70 official code is adoption by an AHJ, who may or may not to decide to adopt article 90 a long with the rest. But they always do adopt article 90 AFAIK. For example if you look up what's in the 'California Electrical Code' you'll find not only article 90 but also an article 89, written entirely by California and not the NFPA. That article lays out who is responsible for enforcing the code in California and related similar stuff. And that is part of the Code in California, too.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Fl
    Posts
    16,509
    Quote Originally Posted by jaggedben View Post
    You are simply wrong about what 90.3 says.
    Ok, it's as much a part of the code as the Annexes are.




    Quote Originally Posted by jaggedben View Post
    At any rate, what makes anything in NPFA 70 official code is adoption by an AHJ, who may or may not to decide to adopt article 90 a long with the rest.
    If NFPA 70 is adopted article 90 rides along period.

    Quote Originally Posted by jaggedben View Post
    For example if you look up what's in the 'California Electrical Code' you'll find not only article 90 but also an article 89,
    Article 80 must be specifically adopted (see the italicized paragraph at the beginning of Annex H) 90 does not.

    FWIW, I know what you are saying and I agree that 90 is part of NFPA 70 but it does not mandate anything, it is just setting up the rest of the story.

    Roger
    Moderator

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •