Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: UL Listing on Main Breaker

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    North Charleston, SC
    Posts
    90

    UL Listing on Main Breaker

    Odd question (to me) from a contractor today that I have never had asked to me before. Main breaker (Siemen's) is not UL listed. Will cost much to replace it or hire a third party to UL certify the main. Are there any NEC requirements to have a UL listed breaker? Has anyone else run into this issue? Is it ok to use a non-listed breaker?

    Thanks for any responses.

    Steve
    Stephen M. Butler, P.E.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3,743
    I have some difficulty believing it's not actually listed. Code does not require UL specifically, only a 'nationally recognized testing laboratory'. Is the problem that it's installed in equipment that it's not listed for? What is the model of the breaker?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    2,864
    Quote Originally Posted by sbutler View Post
    Are there any NEC requirements to have a UL listed breaker?
    The NEC does not require breakers to be listed.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    North Charleston, SC
    Posts
    90
    Yes, I too am having a very hard time believing it is not listed as well. Trying to get more info on the breaker itself. Will report back when I do...

    Thanks,

    Steve
    Stephen M. Butler, P.E.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    North Charleston, SC
    Posts
    90
    Gents, in the 90.7 notes, the following is stated:

    "Informative Annex A contains a list of product safety standards used for product listing. The list includes only product safety standards for which a listing is required by Code".

    I interpret this to say if it is in this list, it is required. Annex A says molded-case circuit breakers shall be UL489 listed.

    Your thoughts?

    Thanks,

    Steve
    Stephen M. Butler, P.E.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Northern illinois
    Posts
    15,570
    Quote Originally Posted by sbutler View Post
    Odd question (to me) from a contractor today that I have never had asked to me before. Main breaker (Siemen's) is not UL listed. Will cost much to replace it or hire a third party to UL certify the main. Are there any NEC requirements to have a UL listed breaker? Has anyone else run into this issue? Is it ok to use a non-listed breaker?

    Thanks for any responses.

    Steve
    I don't see any way a third-party can certify a component like a breaker.

    What makes you think it's not UL listed? It could be that the UL listing Mark it's just somewhere where it's not readily visible. If this is something new your best bet is to take it up with Siemens. As far as I know all of the current Siemens Breakers are UL listed.

    Even if it's an older vintage if it was sold in the US it almost certainly was listed at the time it was sold. If it came as part of a piece of older equipment from Europe I could understand it not being listed.
    Bob

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    2,864
    Quote Originally Posted by sbutler View Post
    I interpret this to say if it is in this list, it is required. Annex A says molded-case circuit breakers shall be UL489 listed.
    The language in 90.7 says "It is the intent of this Code that...the construction of equipment need not be inspected at the time of installation...IF the equipment has been listed by a qualified testing laboratory..."

    Nothing in 90.7 requires all equipment with standards listed in Appendix A to be listed.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    ny,ny
    Posts
    49
    I find it hard to believe that any modern day circuit breaker is not UL listed. That being said if it was purchased as part of an assembly, meaning the panel board, the listing of the assembly would cover the breaker.

    Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Fl
    Posts
    16,626
    Quote Originally Posted by sbutler View Post
    Gents, in the 90.7 notes, the following is stated:
    Take note that article 90 is not part of the code nor is any IN. Article 90 is only an introduction to the code, see 90.3 and take note that Article 90 is not shown.

    Quote Originally Posted by sbutler View Post
    "Informative Annex A contains a list of product safety standards used for product listing.
    Annexes are not code either, read the first italicized sentence of Annex A

    Quote Originally Posted by sbutler View Post
    The list includes only product safety standards for which a listing is required by Code".
    See David's post.

    Quote Originally Posted by sbutler View Post
    I interpret this to say if it is in this list, it is required. Annex A says molded-case circuit breakers shall be UL489 listed.
    Even if the Annex was part of the code the list says "Circuit Breakers for Use in Communication Equipment UL 489A"


    Quote Originally Posted by sbutler View Post
    Your thoughts?

    Thanks,

    Steve
    The only place I know that requires a listing for circuit breakers is 240.83(D)

    Roger
    Moderator

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    6,687
    Quote Originally Posted by sbutler View Post
    Yes, I too am having a very hard time believing it is not listed as well. Trying to get more info on the breaker itself. Will report back when I do...

    Thanks,

    Steve
    What is the breaker type?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •