heavy equipment transmission tester

Status
Not open for further replies.

morbones

Customer has a 60hp 480V 1800 RPM motor with a drive shaft attachment that was relocated from another facility with a control panel that may or may not have been utilized for operation of heavy equipment transmission/gearbox tester. Control panel has undersized reversing motor starters and no speed control capability. I am starting from scratch to build new control panel implementing variable frequency drive. Curious if anyone has had any experience with test equipment mentioned

GeorgeB

ElectroHydraulics engineer (retired)
Occupation
Retired
That doesn't sound far from a test stand for hydraulics built be someone with a LITTLE knowledge. Loads at startup are normally low, and overloads are unlikely. I'd never recommend a starter smaller than recommended, but I see wye-delta used where they are 1 size below recommended occasionally.

IF for a hydraulic stand, the VF drive is nice, but mostly because some equipment may be limited to 900, 1000, or 1200 rpm. If it is a repair shop, automation is unnecessary; if for a manufacturer, they may want to do prescribed test cycles. Moderately sophisticated data acquisition would then be used with valves to load the system. We never, to my knowledge, reversed a given device, but both directions are usually required to handle different products. GENERALLY engine driven are "left hand", industrial are "right hand". If they are testing mobile units, speeds to 3600 are not uncommon.

Status
Not open for further replies.