Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Overhead Water Lines....

Overhead Water Lines....

Hi every one. This is my first post, so if it's in the wrong spot please let me know.

I work for an electric cooperative and we've come upon a...situation, with a local campground. The owner of the campground has taken what is basically an up-jumped non-metal water hose and tied it to the poles and even better, he's tied it to the overhead triplex. This "water line" has various pinholes in it that are spraying water on the line and he's used everything from, no joke, bailing wire, zip ties, electrical tape, etc. to tie it to the triplex. Is there anything in the code that would deal with this? We can't find anything and he refuses to do anything with it until we can. These poles are owned by him but we definitely feel like there is a matter of safety involved.

**If it helps, the line has metal connectors at the ends and metal hose clamps attached to it.

Welcome to the forum.

I hope someone can visual what you are saying cause I cannot. What do the overhead lines have to do with the water pipes?

Michigan. It's a beautiful penninsula, I've looked around.
    It sounds like someone took a hose and strung it between two poles and used the triplex between the two as a messenger cable for the hose.
    Cheers and Stay Safe,

Marky the Sparky

Over head lines

I thought I was pretty succinct when I stated that he has tied the water line to the triplex? Should I have worded that different?

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
    Welcome to the forum.

I hope someone can visual what you are saying cause I cannot. What do the overhead lines have to do with the water pipes?

Quote Originally Posted by jcameron View Post
    I thought I was pretty succinct when I stated that he has tied the water line to the triplex? Should I have worded that different?
    I wasn't certain you were using a hose to tie something to something or what. I think you have a water pipe that is up in the air attached to the overhead lines and that pipe is used as a water sprinkler. Is that correct.

If so that is a non-no, IMO...

396.30 Messenger.
    (A) Support. The messenger shall be supported at dead
    ends and at intermediate locations so as to eliminate tension
    on the conductors. The conductors shall not be permitted to
    come into contact with the messenger supports or any
    structural members, walls, or pipes.

@ ~ @

jcameron,

Let's start with some basic information.
    What Codes are being used in your area
    [ i.e. - the `09, ...`12 or `15 IRC or IBC ? ].
    Also, which electrical code edition is applicable ?

@ ~ @

Is this before or after the service point? If it's before, I would think this comes under NESC. And if it's before and the coop owns the line, they ought to have the say on what's attached to their wires.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
    I wasn't certain you were using a hose to tie something to something or what. I think you have a water pipe that is up in the air attached to the overhead lines and that pipe is used as a water sprinkler. Is that correct.

If so that is a non-no, IMO...

It's actually one of our members and he's using the water line to run water to individual camp sites. You are correct, he has run a water line up in the air and he's tied it to the triplex. He's not using it as a sprinkler though, I was just pointing out the quality of hose he was using.

Quote Originally Posted by zbang View Post
    Is this before or after the service point? If it's before, I would think this comes under NESC. And if it's before and the coop owns the line, they ought to have the say on what's attached to their wires.
    Unfortunately, it's after the service point, so he owns it. It just doesn't seem quite safe, you know? It's tied to the overhead line and it's leaking water every where. Very hodge podge kind of thing. He's used every thing from zip ties to bailing wire to tie it to the triplex.

Quote Originally Posted by north star View Post
    @ ~ @

jcameron,

Let's start with some basic information.
    What Codes are being used in your area
    [ i.e. - the `09, ...`12 or `15 IRC or IBC ? ].
    Also, which electrical code edition is applicable ?

@ ~ @
    I'm going to preface this answer with a caveat. I've just started learning the code and my boss felt like this situation would be a good one to get my feet wet. So, if I miss something bare with me.

As far as which edition is applicable, that's what we were wondering? We're not even sure if something like this is addressed in the code books...?

We're using the '14 NEC book.