Doing work for Facility maintenace groups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

arnettda

I have done a little work for company's that must have a maintenance contract with other company's. Like family dollar stores and Wall Mart. These maintenance company's then must just sub out all the work as they are no where near here. What is your experience with them? I find them a hassle but I also only deal with them maybe once a year. Looking for other opinions.
Thanks

Cletis

I have done a little work for company's that must have a maintenance contract with other company's. Like family dollar stores and Wall Mart. These maintenance company's then must just sub out all the work as they are no where near here. What is your experience with them? I find them a hassle but I also only deal with them maybe once a year. Looking for other opinions.
Thanks

NEVER WORK FOR AN OUT OF TOWN MAINTAINANCE CONTRACT COMPANY!!!

I've done a few and got burned on every one (stiffed mostly), 1 paid but they took forever and haggled about price 2 months after job. Not worth the time and aggravation

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I can tell you what I have run into second hand from a couple guys that are involved in supplying such services.

Payment is fairly slow, but sure.
Payment is well below what one typically might charge.
Paper shuffling was not all that offensive once they figured it out.
The overhead involved in getting the business is all but non-existent making it attractive even with the payment issues.

My sample is limited to a guy who did landscaping work (mostly lawn mowing and such) and another that did pest control.

JES2727

I service some strip malls in my area for an out-of-state management service. They always pay within 3 to 4 wks and they never question the bill. They're a pleasure to work for. Same thing with another management company from No. Jersey (about an hour away). I service one building for them about 5 minutes from my shop. They call me when they need something, I send a bill when the job is done, and they pay me within 10 days.
I've also worked for several other management companies in the past. They've generally been slow to pay and sometimes difficult to deal with, though I've never been burned. Make sure you settle on a price before you start the work. Make sure you know the terms and who to send the bill to. I've had payment withheld because I sent it to the wrong office, or because they didn't have my COI or W9. They're not loyal either. I'd work for them once or twice and then they wouldn't call me again because they found someone cheaper. Or they'll call me out of the blue 2 or 3 years later. I'm ok with it either way because I know who & what I'm dealing with.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
We work on both ends of this deal. We have a subsidiary that runs all the national accounts we have and we sub to local providers. We also do work for other companies that have national account operations. The key things seem to be, settle the pricing is up front, and FULLY understand what the paperwork and check in/check out procedures are and follow them to the letter, no matter how daft they may seem.

Status
Not open for further replies.