Outlet Essentially in Shower

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dustin Foelber

I have a 5x7 room that is tiled floor to ceiling and has a shower in it. Only separation is curtain. No partitions. Client would like to install a power outlet. There is no sink basin. Shower only. Any input?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I have a 5x7 room that is tiled floor to ceiling and has a shower in it. Only separation is curtain. No partitions. Client would like to install a power outlet. There is no sink basin. Shower only. Any input?

I would suggest the shower is the part partitioned off by the curtain.

How is this any real different than a lot of locker rooms where there is no physical partition between the showers and the locker area.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
If the shower spray is likely to reach the receptacle (with the curtain open) I would use weather resistant with in use cover or place the receptacle on the wall above the height of the shower head. Or both.
A hose attached shower head causes more risk of spray than a fixed adjustable head.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I'd say its probably not allowed per 406.9 C (2011 code.), although its obviously an AHJ call to say where the shower stall ends.

Receptacles shall not be installed within or directly over a bathtub or shower stall.

Commentary from handbook:

406.9(C) prohibits the installation of receptacles inside bathtub and shower spaces or above their footprint even if the receptacles are installed in a weatherproof enclosure. Prohibiting such installations helps minimize the use of shavers, radios, hair dryers, and so on, in these areas. The unprotected line side of GFCI receptacles could possibly become wet and therefore create a shock hazard by energizing surrounding wet surfaces.

Status
Not open for further replies.