Recepticles for vehicle block heaters

Status
Not open for further replies.

arnettda

Is a GFCI required for a outdoor receptacle intended for a vehicle block heater. In a non residential location(Lumber yard). Do you know what is causing the GFCI'S to trip? Bad block heater the Cord?

fmtjfw

Is a GFCI required for a outdoor receptacle intended for a vehicle block heater. In a non residential location(Lumber yard). Do you know what is causing the GFCI'S to trip? Bad block heater the Cord?

yes -- outside = GFCI (NEC)
yes -- non-residential (NEC & OSHA)
tripping varies:
1 non-WR GFCI affected by weather
2 cords run over too many times.
3 vehicle backs into receptacle
4 block heaters.

I recommend using GFCI receptacles rather than receptacles protected by GFCI-CBs
I recommend you follow the code and use covers that are rated in-use (cover closes when plug is in)

My experience: 100 or so school buses

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

I concur with the poster who said outdoor receptacles require GFCI protection.

I have outdoor GFCI receptacles that trip now and then when they get damp. Mine don't have the in-use covers. If it bothered me any, or I wanted something more reliable I would start by putting better covers over them. I have even had them trip when there is nothing plugged in.

There is at least some chance that the cords or block heaters are leaking a little current and that is is causing the trip.

ceb58

yes -- outside = GFCI (NEC)
yes -- non-residential (NEC & OSHA)
tripping varies:
1 non-WR GFCI affected by weather
2 cords run over too many times.
3 vehicle backs into receptacle
4 block heaters.

I recommend using GFCI receptacles rather than receptacles protected by GFCI-CBs
I recommend you follow the code and use covers that are rated in-use (cover closes when plug is in)

My experience: 100 or so school buses

Agree with all. Experience 240 generators. Any I have found that were tripping was the cheap grade receptacle that came with the generator and/or the block heater was leaking current.

Status
Not open for further replies.