Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Occupancy Sensors in Electrical Equipment Rooms

Occupancy Sensors in Electrical Equipment Rooms

My plant has large electrical rooms that contain low voltage switch gears and MCCs. They are unoccupied 99.5% of the time, but the florescent lights are left on 100% of the time. In my opinion this is the perfect application for occupancy sensors. We plan on leaving one light fixture on at each door so no one has to walk into a dark room.

I didnt see anything in the NEC that prohibits occupancy sensors in electrical rooms. The only safety concern I see is the lights going off while someone is working on a live circuit for troubleshooting. Troubleshooting is the only time we do hot work.

Are there any OSHA/NEC codes that prohibits occupancy sensors in Electrical Equipment Rooms?

Quote Originally Posted by Saturn_Europa View Post
    My plant has large electrical rooms that contain low voltage switch gears and MCCs. They are unoccupied 99.5% of the time, but the florescent lights are left on 100% of the time. In my opinion this is the perfect application for occupancy sensors. We plan on leaving one light fixture on at each door so no one has to walk into a dark room.

I didnt see anything in the NEC that prohibits occupancy sensors in electrical rooms. The only safety concern I see is the lights going off while someone is working on a live circuit for troubleshooting. Troubleshooting is the only time we do hot work.

Are there any OSHA/NEC codes that prohibits occupancy sensors in Electrical Equipment Rooms?
    I assume you can have multiple sensors in a room so you can provide coverage in blind spots. Otherwise, I'd be a little hesitant, unless you can set them for 8 hours or something close.

Dual technology occupancy sensors are supposed to stay on regardless of motion triggering them to. If I'm not mistaken..

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by justin13me View Post
    Dual technology occupancy sensors are supposed to stay on regardless of motion triggering them to. If I'm not mistaken..

You mean a simple on/off switch along with the motion sensor? If you leave it on, as typically happens for standard switches, then there wasn't much point in installing it, was there?

No, occupancy sensors are PIR and /or ultrasonic and those that are both are called dual technology.

Quote Originally Posted by justin13me View Post
    No, occupancy sensors are PIR and /or ultrasonic and those that are both are called dual technology.

If you're working in a corner with no line of sight to the sensor, which is usually mounted by the entrance, it's going to get dark sooner or later unless the "on" time can be set for long enough, say 2 hours, to guarantee you'll be going near it, if only for a bathroom break.

Quote Originally Posted by gadfly56 View Post
    If you're working in a corner with no line of sight to the sensor, which is usually mounted by the entrance, it's going to get dark sooner or later unless the "on" time can be set for long enough, say 2 hours, to guarantee you'll be going near it, if only for a bathroom break.
    Bathroom stalls pretty much guarantee that you will often be out of the active range of the sensor!
    A single occupancy bathroom is a much easier problem.

There is something at the end of 110.26.
    No book handy

Quote Originally Posted by GoldDigger View Post
    Bathroom stalls pretty much guarantee that you will often be out of the active range of the sensor!
    A single occupancy bathroom is a much easier problem.
    I've had that tour, thanks. Let's just say I was particularly glad I have MiniMag on me at all times.

Quote Originally Posted by chris kennedy View Post
    There is something at the end of 110.26.
    No book handy
    It's 110.26(D).