Drivers/Transformers in parallel??

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark32

I'm not sure if this is a stupid question but can I install two small LED drivers and wire their secondaries together for the purpose of combining their wattage rating? I'm installing four runs of LED ribbon in a kitchen and I have them configured to use one 60 watt driver and the other use a 90 watt driver. The supplier is out of stock on the 90 and recommended one from another company but I'm unsure if I want to use it. It has received good reviews (On Amazon) but it appears the 120v feed terminals are exposed, so I may pass on this. If I can combine the suppliers drivers, that will save me from purchasing another controller which blends the colors on RGB ribbon.

mark32

Thank you Bob, sorry for the delay in my response. I'll keep you posted as to what materials I end up using, at the moment I'm looking at Armacost for the ribbon and controller. Still looking for the right power supply, which would have to be rated at least 125 watts and according to Armacost, the power supply would have to be of the electronic type.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Thank you Bob, sorry for the delay in my response. I'll keep you posted as to what materials I end up using, at the moment I'm looking at Armacost for the ribbon and controller. Still looking for the right power supply, which would have to be rated at least 125 watts and according to Armacost, the power supply would have to be of the electronic type.
As a general rule I would not parallel electronic power supplies.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
It may no longer be a Class 2 power supply if you do that, triggering a requirement to use Chapter 3 wiring methods.

I 100% agree. Anything over 60 watts is not going to be class 2. The higher wattage class 2 supply's have multiple outputs (circuits) so each output is limited to 60 watts or less.

I doubt the strip lighting is listed for anything but class 2 supplies. You need to limit the load on each circuit to 60 watts or less.

mark32

I just realized I didn't make it clear as to why I want to wire the driver in this manner. The maker of the LED ribbon told me that if I use more than one wireless controller they may not sync correctly. So, part of the kitchen may display a slightly different color than another part of the kitchen. Anyone experience this with RGB LED ribbons that are being controlled wirelessly? Here's a link to the controller:http://www.amazon.com/Cooligg-Wireless-Controller-Android-Smartphone/dp/B00EUVDQL0

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Code aside, I'm curious as to the dangers of wiring a power supply in the manner I've described. What could happen?

Probably the biggest theoretical danger is if you are using it to drive a Class 2 rated load (LED driver, etc.).
The UL safety tests of the driver were done using a limited output power source, which is no longer present.
It would only become an issue if there were a fault in the device, but that is enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.