I hope this was done off the clock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquidtite

I think the install would look cleaner having branch circuits entering trough and then nippiling
into panel with conduits

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I thought the same thing - rat nest.

I doubt it. Someone who does this kind of work has serious OCD. Not saying that it's per se a bad thing, but making a rat's nest in the ceiling would probably maker his/her head explode.

Canton

Occupation
Electrician
A picture I just ran into on the internet.

Idle hands are the devil's workshop. :D

lDiR0tB.jpg
That is awesome!!!:thumbsup:

kwired

Electron manager
I think the install would look cleaner having branch circuits entering trough and then nippiling
into panel with conduits
They certainly used a lot of wall space that could be used for other equipment - there is space for another panel to the right but there are all those cables in the way.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
I doubt it. Someone who does this kind of work has serious OCD. Not saying that it's per se a bad thing, but making a rat's nest in the ceiling would probably maker his/her head explode.

I have that kind of OCD. That's why I made the comment about the staples running diagonally aren't in a perfectly straight line.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
This is from Southwire for Canadian NM cable. Looks like the red jacket is for DP situations. Black and red wire along with a ground

Southwire?s Romex? SIMpull ? Type NMD90 cables are available as two- or three-conductor
cables, with bare grounding conductor
? The construction is manufactured using annealed (soft) copper conductors?compressed
stranding for the stranded conductors; a 90?C rated thermoplastic polyvinyl chloride (PVC)
insulation and a nylon jacket for the individual conductors; and a PVC jacket surrounding
the overall construction
? The cable jacket is color coded for quick size identification; White - 14 AWG, Yellow -
12 AWG, Orange - 10 AWG, and White - 8 AWG and 6 AWG
? For two-conductor cable, one conductor has white insulation and the second conductor
has black insulation
? For the three-conductor cable, one conductor has white insulation, one conductor has
black insulation, and the third conductor has red insulation
? A blue overall jacket is available with two-conductor cable size 14 AWG
? A red overall jacket is available with two-conductor cables?sizes 14 AWG, 12 AWG,
10 AWG, and 8 AWG: phase conductors will be red and black
? Unique SIM (SlikQuik? Infused Membrane) Jacket? construction allows for 50%
reduction in pulling force resulting in easier installation, easier stripping, reduced
burn-thru, and tear resistance

kwired

Electron manager
This is from Southwire for Canadian NM cable. Looks like the red jacket is for DP situations. Black and red wire along with a ground
Possible that Canada code doesn't allow reidentification of white (or whatever color is the grounded conductor there) so you must use this cable for circuits not using a grounded conductor?

darekelec

250.4 General Requirements for Grounding and Bonding. The following general requirements identify whatgrounding and bonding of electrical systems are required toaccomplish. The prescriptive methods contained in Article250 shall be followed to comply with the performance requirements of this section.
(A) Grounded Systems.
(1) Electrical System Grounding. Electrical systems thatare grounded shall be connected to earth in a manner thatwill limit the voltage imposed by lightning, line surges, orunintentional contact with higher-voltage lines and that willstabilize the voltage to earth during normal operation.
FPN: An important consideration for limiting the imposedvoltage is the routing of bonding and grounding conductorsso that they are not any longer than necessary to completethe connection without disturbing the permanent parts ofthe installation and so that unnecessary bends and loops areavoided.

Were the bends on GEC necessary? Definitely yes for looks.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Possible that Canada code doesn't allow reidentification of white (or whatever color is the grounded conductor there) so you must use this cable for circuits not using a grounded conductor?

I am surprised that they don't sell it here. I guess as long as we allow the white to be taped there is no good market for it.

bphgravity

This must have been done by the same guy:

Attachments

• Picture4.jpg
    Picture4.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Picture3.jpg
    Picture3.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 0
  • Picture2.jpg
    Picture2.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 0
Did this come from a Russian (I think) website.. That was were I found it using search by image thru google

It could have come from a Russian site, but the equipment positively looks North American (Canadian perhaps?)

This is what the loadcenters look like in Russia and most of Europe:

1352291656foto1_big.jpg

That part of the world is a free-for-all when it comes to our trade..
No codes being followed, and any trade standards used are guidelines at best.

With their residential supply being single-phase 230 volts hot leg to grounded neutral, as a standard, they OCP 1.5 mm2 conductors (roughly an equivalent of 16 awg) at 10A, and 2.5 mm2 conductors (12 AWG) at 16A, allowing to them to carry 2,300 watts on 14AWG and 3680 watts on 12 AWG conductors..
Crazy!

kwired

Electron manager
It could have come from a Russian site, but the equipment positively looks North American (Canadian perhaps?)

This is what the loadcenters look like in Russia and most of Europe:

View attachment 11777

That part of the world is a free-for-all when it comes to our trade..
No codes being followed, and any trade standards used are guidelines at best.

With their residential supply being single-phase 230 volts hot leg to grounded neutral, as a standard, they OCP 1.5 mm2 conductors (roughly an equivalent of 16 awg) at 10A, and 2.5 mm2 conductors (12 AWG) at 16A, allowing to them to carry 2,300 watts on 14AWG and 3680 watts on 12 AWG conductors..
Crazy!
Crazy depends on what you are used to, they could look at what we run and call us crazy.

I personally feel that 230 volts single phase like they use is possibly a better deal then 120/240 for most things.

Crazy depends on what you are used to, they could look at what we run and call us crazy.

I personally feel that 230 volts single phase like they use is possibly a better deal then 120/240 for most things.

How so?
With the North American 120/240, with hot-to-hot 240V in counterphase, yes, it's more efficient, but how is it more efficient with neutral-to-hot at 230 setup?

Status
Not open for further replies.