Thread: Fire Alarm Gas Shut off in Laboratory

Fire Alarm Gas Shut off in Laboratory

I have a project in a university lab building. The labs have natural gas outlets in them for experimental purposes. My question is, upon activation of a fire alarm system in the building will the fire alarm have to shut off the natural gas in each laboratory. I can't find anywhere in the NFPA codes or in the Florida Building Code (FBC) that states that gas shut off is required for a university type setting. It is required in K-12 schools by the FBC, but not universiteis. Can anyone provide me with some input? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Shujinko View Post
    I have a project in a university lab building. The labs have natural gas outlets in them for experimental purposes. My question is, upon activation of a fire alarm system in the building will the fire alarm have to shut off the natural gas in each laboratory. I can't find anywhere in the NFPA codes or in the Florida Building Code (FBC) that states that gas shut off is required for a university type setting. It is required in K-12 schools by the FBC, but not universiteis. Can anyone provide me with some input? Thanks.
    If its not required, it doesn't get put in. Unless the contract calls for it. The university's safety committee might have some input on this. Do I personally think this is a good idea? Oh, heck yeah!