Not photoshopped, no foolin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I know there was a shower pic from the Winter Olympics that was not real; this one is.
s pics 041.jpg s pics 039.jpg View attachment 11823

Getaway cabin in the woods. Don't know if the building was permitted. I'm pretty sure there was not an electrical inspection. Worse than all that somebody added on the little QO panel to the right for a new water heater.

Fix was not too bad, pull the circuits up into new j boxes in the attic and made home runs to a new panel outside.

I never thought I would see something like this in real life.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
I know there was a shower pic from the Winter Olympics that was not real; this one is.
View attachment 11825 View attachment 11822 View attachment 11823

Getaway cabin in the woods. Don't know if the building was permitted. I'm pretty sure there was not an electrical inspection. Worse than all that somebody added on the little QO panel to the right for a new water heater.

Fix was not too bad, pull the circuits up into new j boxes in the attic and made home runs to a new panel outside.

I never thought I would see something like this in real life.

what's the problem? it's above the shower rod...... :p

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
That is not the first one of those I have seen. I mean , not personally but on the web but I don't know if the other was photoshopped or not. I believe the pic was taken by a member on another forum. It is amazing what you find out there.

I took this pic and I know who was involved-- not me.. Not as bad as above

ry%3D400

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
What? The breakers are all labeled. Nothing says you can't use a felt pen you know...

My niece's newly inherited (on her husbands side) house in San Jose was built at the turn of the century without an indoor bathroom, so someone a long time ago converted what might have been a pantry or large closet. They put in a tub/shower, but the light switch is in the shower enclosure, tiled in and everything. From the looks of the switch, it's been that way for decades. They're having the house remodeled anyway so for temporary, I put in a WP cover, sealed everything with RTV and put on a GFIC breaker feeding that circuit. For some odd reason, the circuit also feeds the front porch light and one plug in the living room. When it's foggy outside, the GFCI trips. I think the guy that wired that place in the 20s or 30s was drunk at the time. I have a "Before" picture of the switch in the shower somewhere on an old phone, I'll see if I can find it.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Aside from the obvious Code violations I'd like to get inside the heads of whomever does these installs. I've found several of these in my home town alone. Go figure :

Can anyone give me some tips on how to resize photos before posting them here ?

rlundsrud

That is not the first one of those I have seen. I mean , not personally but on the web but I don't know if the other was photoshopped or not. I believe the pic was taken by a member on another forum. It is amazing what you find out there.

I took this pic and I know who was involved-- not me.. Not as bad as above

ry%3D400

Since you have the toilet to stand on, it is accessible. You just have to remember to put the seat down. This was probably installed by a woman who was sick of her boyfriend forgetting to do It.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Since you have the toilet to stand on, it is accessible. You just have to remember to put the seat down. This was probably installed by a woman who was sick of her boyfriend forgetting to do It.

Actually that was an existing panel in a utility room that never got moved on the remodel. Last time I was there this was a sub panel with seu cable feeding the range. I believe we installed a 120V receptacle because they went to gas. This was 8 or 10 years ago at least.

mwm1752

Panel clearances used to be face foot print of panel 1950's and they added not in bathroom in the 1993 NEC --- But never in a shower --

Status
Not open for further replies.