Household Surge Protectors ( $ 7.99 a month ) Is it worth it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davebones

Was asked about paying a utility ( $ 7.99 a month ) Duke Energy for a surge protector on a house . They wanted to know if it was worth it ? Just wanted some opinions to give them .

kwired

Electron manager
Was asked about paying a utility ( $ 7.99 a month ) Duke Energy for a surge protector on a house . They wanted to know if it was worth it ? Just wanted some opinions to give them .
We need to have full disclosure of what is warrantied, what is not, and other conditions effecting such warranties. Otherwise you are possibly throwing away $7.99 a month for something you don't even know if it is doing anything.

Most whole house surge protectors do claim to protect from certain circumstances, and even have warranties to replace damaged equipment. Not sure just how easy it is to make a claim, but also do know they have other requirements for specific items, like they often want a local surge protector at an electronic appliance or it will not be covered.

I haven't checked into costs recently but $7.99 monthly seems like more then I would want to spend - close to $100 per year, but I don't pay anyone labor to install it at my place, but I expect it to last more then a year as well.

growler

I don't think I would want to install surge protection and let the customer pay me $7.99 a month unitl it's paid off so this may be the cheapest initial cost to get surge protection installed.

If you do have a problem with a surge it's probably easier to go after a utility company than the manufacturer of a surge protector sold off the shelf.

Like most things it does have some selling points.

Barbqranch

Occupation
Plant maintenance electrician Semi-retired
As I see the problem, if you go w/ your gut and tell them don't bother, and then there is a lightning strike that takes out everything, you are to blame. If they spend the money, and there is never a problem it is (to them) because the worked.

My MIL always bought service contracts on appliances, even though it was a waste of money. But convince her not do so, and the refer goes out (for a $50 repair) and the hundreds she spent suddenly are a great value.

meternerd

Occupation
retired water & electric utility electrician, meter/relay tech
We, as a utility, used to offer them at a nominal cost. Mounted behind the meter. What we found is that during a storm, when wiring has ground faults, over-under build accidental contacts, low or high SUSTAINED voltages due to storm damage or equipment failure...they do nothing. Customers with them were still applying for replacement of damaged equipment. They figured if they paid for one, they should never have another problem. Hard to argue with that. If they don't complain, did it work, or were they just lucky? I've never been convinced that they do much. We quit offering 'em years ago. Maybe they've been improved lately, but I have my doubts.

kwired

Electron manager
From another forum:
"If I had a dollar for every lottery ticket I ever bought...."

I'd probably have less then $10.

If I could have a dollar for every lotto ticket bought when I was waiting in line at the C store however.... then they have to waste a bunch of time checking to see if old tickets they brought in are second chance winners - they should have a line for lotto only:(

Status
Not open for further replies.