Appliances

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
In the eyes of the NEC,can a residential boiler or furnace be considered an appliance?
Geo

Maybe.

From article 100

Appliance. Utilization equipment, generally other than in-dustrial, that is normally built in standardized sizes or types and is installed or connected as a unit to perform one or more functions such as clothes washing, air conditioning, food mixing, deep frying, and so forth.

Just curious why it would make a difference.

geochurchi

Occupation
Retired electrician
Appliances

I realize this maybe a stretch, but could this allow residential boilers and furnaces to be cord cap connected,for use with portable stand by generators.
Geo

iwire

Staff member
I realize this maybe a stretch, but could this allow residential boilers and furnaces to be cord cap connected,for use with portable stand by generators.
Geo

422.12 and 422.12 seems to suggest they are appliances.

But 422.16(A) places some limits on the use of cords.

geochurchi

Occupation
Retired electrician
Appliances

422.12 and 422.12 seems to suggest they are appliances.

But 422.16(A) places some limits on the use of cords.

I have been in contact with a code instructor and he feels it would be OK as long as it meets mfg.requirements,most of the mfg. Spec's I have checked on spec a disconnect at the equipment and proper circuit ampacity,the only draw back he stated was that normally boilers are installed in a basement and the outlet would require GFCI protection,not sure if that would be a good idea for a boiler.
Geo

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I have been in contact with a code instructor and he feels it would be OK as long as it meets mfg.requirements,most of the mfg. Spec's I have checked on spec a disconnect at the equipment and proper circuit ampacity,the only draw back he stated was that normally boilers are installed in a basement and the outlet would require GFCI protection,not sure if that would be a good idea for a boiler.
Geo
A receptacle (not to be confused with an outlet in general) will only require GFCI is it is 15 or 20.

[2014] 210.8
Dwelling Units. All 125-volt, single-phase, 15- and 20-ampere receptacles installed in the locations specified in 21O.S(A)(I) through (10) shall have ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection for personnel.
Where (5) is unfinished basements.

kwired

Electron manager
Geo
Again the appliance in question likely is not intended to be cord and plug connected, and would rarely meet conditions that allow for cord and plug connection. You could install a transfer switch, possible a simple three way switch is acceptable for this purpose unless it needs to be rated as transfer equipment, they do make small transfer switches that fit device boxes that are much more expensive if you must go that route. You maybe could then supply one side with normal power, the other side with a cord and cap - or if that isn't acceptable a "power inlet".

As far as the GFCI goes - unless the generator is older you likely will be plugging into a GFCI protected outlet anyway when using the generator. Outside of codes - you may have flame sensor performance issues if you don't have a good ground reference when running on the generator.

Status
Not open for further replies.