Stripping Large Type TC Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I disagree that the maximum minimum would be the mean. But it would really depend on the definition of maximum minimum if there is an accepted one, as well as the details of the distribution defining the value at different locations.
Well it could never be the mean exactly, but it would be approaching the mean from the minimum side of the distribution. Logic precludes the minimum from ever being greater than the average. That is, unless you remove the constraint of the mathematical definition. For example, using the term relative minimum with respect to a subset of all values. Which goes to what you and I both have stated in so many words: that when it comes to applied mathematics, it depends on definitions, whether accepted by conventional discipline or not.

MasterTheNEC

CEO and President of Electrical Code Academy, Inc.
Occupation
CEO
I must be getting confused. We have a cable manufacturer asking how to strip their own cable. If I had a problem stripping a cable I would contact the manufacturer for advice and not go on the internet asking a group of random guys.

Call me sceptical if you like but I don?t believe a word of this.
You are confused......we know how to strip our cable.....but obviously you have NEVER worked with 750 kcmil Type TC-ER Cable.....we are looking for installers experience that may help make the stripping process just a little easier.

As always...someone to look differently at an honest request for others experience who may have dealt with the larger sizes in the field.....Typical of this forum

We have been stripping the cable with many tools, I personally do it with a hook knife setup....and have done it with a rotary stripper...and indeed watched for a depth issue.......we have shown how to do it with a pipe cutter tool as well with a controlled and skilled hand towards accuracy. What I was trying to do is see if their were any TIPS or TRICKS used by others in the field......but you have to turn it into something it is not....GO BACK to the UK:thumbsdown:....seriously poor unhelpful response.

MasterTheNEC

Occupation
CEO
Just out of curiosity, what basic type of plastic is your jacket on those sizes? Other smaller ones?

it is a unique compound of PVC developed by our Chemists. It is like a vulcanized material that is very tough. In fact, when I show people how to strip it in a video it is tough and I have to man-handle it with a hook knife. The outer covering is flexible yet still hard...it was designed to give a superior Flame Test Rating.

Just figured someone out their may have that golden nugget we are missing so that I could develop a good installation guide for it rather than the old school way. Remember that many installers will not have the many tool choices so just figured someone had a TIP or TRICK we did not think about. The installers I know who use it now just strip it with a knife and hook as posted here before and eventually get it done.

I must be getting confused. We have a cable manufacturer asking how to strip their own cable. If I had a problem stripping a cable I would contact the manufacturer for advice and not go on the internet asking a group of random guys.

Call me sceptical if you like but I don?t believe a word of this.

You are confused......we know how to strip our cable.....but obviously you have NEVER worked with 750 kcmil Type TC-ER Cable.....we are looking for installers experience that may help make the stripping process just a little easier.

As always...someone to look differently at an honest request for others experience who may have dealt with the larger sizes in the field.....Typical of this forum

We have been stripping the cable with many tools, I personally do it with a hook knife setup....and have done it with a rotary stripper...and indeed watched for a depth issue.......we have shown how to do it with a pipe cutter tool as well with a controlled and skilled hand towards accuracy. What I was trying to do is see if their were any TIPS or TRICKS used by others in the field......but you have to turn it into something it is not....GO BACK to the UK:thumbsdown:....seriously poor unhelpful response.

@ Tony S, You do seem to be confused. The OP is looking for a more proficient way to have their cable stripped quickly and efficiently without damage to the conductors. What quicker better way could there possibly be to get ideas than on the best electrical forum on the internet. There are not a "group of random guys" here. There are thousands upon thousands of hours of electrical experience and knowledge here.

@ the OP, wow, that was rude. Raise yourself up a bit. As my father always told me, "2 wrongs don't make a right"

MasterTheNEC

Occupation
CEO
@ the OP, wow, that was rude. Raise yourself up a bit. As my father always told me, "2 wrongs don't make a right"
Agreed...less than shining moment on my part. However, I took offense at the statement for the very same reasons you replied to him about....Sorry !

Smart $

Esteemed Member
... Remember that many installers will not have the many tool choices so just figured someone had a TIP or TRICK we did not think about. The installers I know who use it now just strip it with a knife and hook as posted here before and eventually get it done.
As I stated previously, I have not stripped any of the particular cable you are asking about... but the toughest i've ever had to strip was unshielded MV cable. The jacket seems to be adhered to the dielectric. You basically score it, then peel it off... but as I've explained to other electricians, it is a lot easier to get the peel started by scoring on opposite sides (or thirds, quarters) enough to get a good hold on the innards and outtards :p with both hands. Then the peel against a single score goes a lot smoother.

Status
Not open for further replies.