Electrical Exam Preparation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all I supervise Inmate apprentices and they do a lot of studying. They were doing the 2014 Electrical Exam Preparation and discovered a problem. On page 175 under Terminals rated 90 deg. C, It asks: According to table 310.15(B)(16), what size 200 amp aluminum compact conductor can be used to interconnect bus bars protected by a 200 amp overcurrent protection device if all terminals are rated 90 deg. C? It says the answer is 1/0 AWG. The code and table says that 4/0 is the size. Could someone explain it so I can explain it to my apprentices.:rant:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I think this is a bad question. Although the terminals are rated 90C that does not mean the equipment is rated 90C therefore we cannot even use the 90C rating.

Not sure where the 1/0 ces from other than art. 370 for cablebus which states that the conductor in cablebus cannot be smaller than 1/0.

I am at a loss trying to understand what is being look for in this question.

zcanyonboltz

I am studying the same book and chapter now. I was wondering the same thing I get 4/0 too. There are some other typo questions/answers in that chapter. On page 182 they give the right answer but use the wrong temperature adjustment to get the answer. Page 192, 6 awg should work the answer given is 4 awg. Page 194 has the wrong numbers plugged in in example and wrong answer.

titusmccullam

Banned
I think this is a bad question. Although the terminals are rated 90C that does not mean the equipment is rated 90C therefore we cannot even use the 90C rating.

Not sure where the 1/0 ces from other than art. 370 for cablebus which states that the conductor in cablebus cannot be smaller than 1/0.

I am at a loss trying to understand what is being look for in this question.

Off course I agree that your point.

Status
Not open for further replies.