320.23 and NM wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

VIC1958

Need some help here......... Most attic spaces have to have attic access per the IRC. NM wiring in attics must comply with 320.23. My question is houses that have truss roof framing. I have seen NM wiring running diagonal, between, on top of and between framing members. For simplicity sake, the truss roof I am referring to is designed for no storage or mechanical at all. But is still have my code compliant access point. I believe that the wiring still must be supported,secured every 4.5' and within 12" of all outlets and junction boxes. The electricians I have spoken with say that with a truss roof system they do not need to be secured every 4.5' because there is no storage or mechanical issues.

Thanks again

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Need some help here......... Most attic spaces have to have attic access per the IRC. NM wiring in attics must comply with 320.23. My question is houses that have truss roof framing. I have seen NM wiring running diagonal, between, on top of and between framing members. For simplicity sake, the truss roof I am referring to is designed for no storage or mechanical at all. But is still have my code compliant access point. I believe that the wiring still must be supported,secured every 4.5' and within 12" of all outlets and junction boxes. The electricians I have spoken with say that with a truss roof system they do not need to be secured every 4.5' because there is no storage or mechanical issues.

Thanks again

What code section eliminates the requirement for securing the cable? Are you saying that the cable is fished which does not require securing?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

Thanks again

The electrician is incorrect....

VIC1958

I am no saying it dosent requires securing, contractor is. He is quoting 320.23. I think he is confusing protection from securing and supporting.
What code section eliminates the requirement for securing the cable? Are you saying that the cable is fished which does not require securing?

celtic

The electricians I have spoken with say that with a truss roof system they do not need to be secured every 4.5' because there is no storage or mechanical issues.

Thanks again

The same could be said for a wall cavity [ no storage or mechanical issues ]..but we staple there anyway to be 320.30 compliant.

I think your electrician is thinking he found a loophole, but he is sadly incorrect trying to cite 320.23.

480sparky

I am no saying it dosent requires securing, contractor is. He is quoting 320.23. I think he is confusing protection from securing and supporting.

If it's a general contractor, he should stick to being a GC and let the subs he hires do their jobs.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
The electrician is correct in that the nm does not need to run parallel with the joist or be protected unless it is within 6' of the scuttle hole. However it does need securing-- 334.30. section .23 tells us how it can be run and if protection is needed while .30 mentions securing

electricalist

Did someone do the electrical work in question and you are unhappy with it or do you plan to do some rewiring and wanna know if you need to strap it? .
I have seen lots of nm only stappled where it changes direction , is routed over an obstacle , going into or out of anything , never on decking and never in an obstructive way,
Would this same attic acces require lighting?

MHElectric

I know what the code says, but who the heck staples romex in an attic??!!!

Only within 8" of the box, if it runs parallel with the framing, or if it changes direction. Other than that, no inspector will ever turn it down.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I know what the code says, but who the heck staples romex in an attic??!!!

Only within 8" of the box, if it runs parallel with the framing, or if it changes direction. Other than that, no inspector will ever turn it down.

We always staple wires in the attic. You must not be getting inspections.

John120/240

You staple each cable every 4ft in an attic?!!?

Might fudge a little on the distance between staples. Pull the wire taut & make it look neat, then staple. This applies to long runs that are perpendicular to the joist. In these situations the wire is usually ran where distance between joist & roof is less than 36". For wire runs parallel to joist yes staple to code.

Cavie

The key word here is Parallel. If your going across the trusses, inspectors will not gig you for not stapling. . Most will not gig for more than 4.5' unless it's sagging. If there is equipment in the attic there must be a light. I can not imagine a power company building the service and no inspections with the building wiring??? Just nuts. Backwoods 21st century technology at it's finest.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I know that's code, but Ive never seen an inspector fail anyone for not stapling. Everybody just throws it across the rafters.

I guess you don't work in Durham. I know they will call it. Since I do staple I don't know how the others look at it but I have always seen the cables stapled.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I fought that war in this area and found out "we require' was only 'I'.
No inspector within 100 miles was requiring stapling in the attic where the NM was simply laid on top of the joists (or truss members).
I could find no reason and brought it up and a regional IAEI seminar and it was fairly well agreed upon on that it was required but ranked in the 'top 10' ignored requirements especially since the birth of truss systems.
With the truss systems, I mainly look for pinch points or places where the NM is pulled against the truss nailplates and require stapling at those areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.