License vs non license

Status
Not open for further replies.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Hi Mark,

Randy hung a new ceiling fan/light in the bedroom ceiling. It works when you pull the chain but not with the wall switch.

If he turns the circuit breaker OFF, now the light works with the wall switch but the garage door wont open.

Switch the breaker back to ON, and the garage door works, but the wall switch wont activate the light.

Again, the ligh/fant in the bedroom works when you pull the chain. Just not with the wall switch unless the breaker is off which inactivates the garage door.

Can you please show him how to fix this?

I would love to know what he did to create this scenario.........:)

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Hi Mark,

Randy hung a new ceiling fan/light in the bedroom ceiling. It works when you pull the chain but not with the wall switch.

If he turns the circuit breaker OFF, now the light works with the wall switch but the garage door wont open.

Switch the breaker back to ON, and the garage door works, but the wall switch wont activate the light.

Again, the ligh/fant in the bedroom works when you pull the chain. Just not with the wall switch unless the breaker is off which inactivates the garage door.

Can you please show him how to fix this?

I would love to know what he did to create this scenario.........:)

I am curious, too.

My guess is he mixed up a switch leg and a neutral.

I will post the solution once remedied.

mwm1752

There's always a fine line between service repair & permitted work -- The fact that you did work on a commercial property could be a liability issue. Did you say owns a building & 240.00 was alot of money? Next time he asked for help, bill one big "kiss my ass cheap skate" ---

growler

Plus, he owns a bar north of here so helping him is no prob!

When I was young I would do electrical work for friends that promised to buy all the beer I could drink.

Later they started to pay outright figureing it was cheaper.

Nothing taste better than free beer.

tshea

In WI you can change ballasts and lamps without a license. I guess these energy savings companies lobbied the right folks. Can't compete with these guys either. It's almost impossible when they pay $15/hr no bennies.

When my brother built his house I billed out my guys at $25/hr plus parts. It was a token. I did a bunch of work too off the books. Whenever I need an extra hand at home or at the rentals my brother is ready and willing to help. So no prob.

I did some work at my daughter and SIL house. He is NOT handy at all. My brother and I told him to buy this list of material to repair the front porch--5 years ago. Still waiting. Someone will step through and it won't be me.

Do not work for family and friends. It never ends well. Unless they have a skill you can use, then tread carefully! :D

FREEBALL

should have sent him a real contractor bill and tell him to compare. Sounds like bad blood just grin and bare it. I told my fianc? no way when she said advertise on facebook too many friends and family

kwired

Electron manager
should have sent him a real contractor bill and tell him to compare. Sounds like bad blood just grin and bare it. I told my fianc? no way when she said advertise on facebook too many friends and family
Facebook is a different animal though, you are going to count on family and friends to "like" you and then their other family and friends get exposure from you and hopefully some of them "like" you, and it will continue to spread. If you tried Facebook without family and friends being in that chain - you will go nowhere very fast with this approach.

Status
Not open for further replies.