Service mast conduit supports for service upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am upgrading an existing 60amp service to 100amps. The new mast kit I purchased came with clamps that have 1/2" threaded rod. They are long enough to go through the wall. Is there an alternative means of support that is acceptable? I normally work industrial or commercial, no residential in many years. If anyone cares to give me product number and manufacturer name for a kit to install or means by which to accomplish the task. Thanks..

question

question

Hey quick question. Have you ever installed a service mast conduit on a old house? The mast kit comes with conduit clamps that would require open heart surgery on the interior wall of the house. Do you know an alternate method that will pass inspection?

got the answer

got the answer

I was informed that will have to drill through the center of stud in the exterior wall and counter sink deep enough for the bolt up, to allow patching on the surface of the drywall.

John120/240

A piece of Uni Strut aka Kindorf strut could be mounted mounted to the siding secure strut to two studs. .Then use the appropriate strut clamp. If you have attic access, install a 2 X 6 between two studs provided the mast extends past this area.

Better yet if you can don't use the mast for support of the service drop. Use a ceramic insulator with lag screw threads screwed to a structural member. In this situation you can get by with a PVC mast.

FREEBALL

question is how far past the roof line the service drop has to be for clearance. Then what does the POCO require for attatchment. Around here PVC is not allowed to travel past roof line and screw in clevis is also not allowed in most areas, however I have put new services in w/ a bolt through and return to find the bolt through not used and the existing screw in being used. If your mast has to be 3 or more feet past roof to get clearance then you will need a support cable to support the conduit. more info needed

Sounds like you guys have much stricter rules than Michigan. When we use a mast, it is typically going through an eve or scoffing. We just use a two hole strap or a pipe clamp with a lag bolt. Sometimes a rigid roof flashing with a set screw. The two inch rigid usually bends before the supports give in.

Ravenvalor

question is how far past the roof line the service drop has to be for clearance. Then what does the POCO require for attatchment. Around here PVC is not allowed to travel past roof line and screw in clevis is also not allowed in most areas, however I have put new services in w/ a bolt through and return to find the bolt through not used and the existing screw in being used. If your mast has to be 3 or more feet past roof to get clearance then you will need a support cable to support the conduit. more info needed

In lieu of support cable we usually use angle steel
https://www.google.com/search?q=angle+steel+with+holes&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
We put a piece flat on the roof long enough to bolt to two studs and then we run a piece from it to the rigid metal riser and clamp it to the riser with ubolts.

GerryB

Sounds like you guys have much stricter rules than Michigan. When we use a mast, it is typically going through an eve or scoffing. We just use a two hole strap or a pipe clamp with a lag bolt. Sometimes a rigid roof flashing with a set screw. The two inch rigid usually bends before the supports give in.
That's what I was thinking, the hole through the eve and the roof holds it. He must have something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.