Satelite grounding specifics

Status
Not open for further replies.

yzman720

I have read for a couple hours and don't get much on a couple specifics and some conflicting for grounding.
what I have is a new construction that has the service on one side of the home and the satelite will be mounting on the complete opposite along with the phone. What I plan to do is run a solid wire from the neutral/ground bar in the main service panel to where the satelite and phone cables will enter the residence. My confusion lies on the length that is acceptable on this and the size #6 or #8? The wire will probably be at least 90' if not 100' and I saw a couple forums said to run it straight. Well inevitably it will have bends to get to the service panel and 2 90 degree bends at the service panel on top of the bends getting to the panel.
What's size wire?
Are the bends acceptable?
Is my length ok?
Will my satelite and phone/internet be able to be grounded to this same wire?
I also see a coax cable ground length limited to 20' this kind of confused me - from where my coax enters the home next to the ground wite I am running to where it reaches the communications box is over 20' is this illegal?

Any help without telling me to refer to an article in the nec would greatly be appreciated. The code language and constant referrals to seperate articles make my head spin.

Last edited:

yzman720

Is this for your own house or one that is owned by somebody else?

Is this the part wear I get the "if your asking the question you should not be doing it?"
I dont see see what difference it makes but yes, this is my own home I am building. I am also a contractor, obviously my electrical subs normally do wiring on homes im selling so I don't know some specifics. Yes I can ask them but sometimes I kind of like to research on my own and do it myself for enjoyment as long as it is up to code and done correctly.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Is this the part wear I get the "if your asking the question you should not be doing it?"
No, this is the part where we say that if you are not an electrician, then forum rules prohibit us from assisting you in performing your own electrical installation work. With that having been said, I am closing this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.