Art 223..30 sequel

Status
Not open for further replies.

mannyb

Occupation
Electrician
Last couple days my co worker posted a question in regards to 223.30. we established running one feeder to a building was the only way. this project
was asked of us last year and but hadn't got it yet. Today we arrive onsite to find out our customer already had someone else do work. they apparently
did exactly what we were gonna do if they had 3 separate Temporary Buildings. unfortunately its one big building.

lucky for me after spending all weekend asking questions and research on this site. I knew they were in violation. 223.30. the owner asked me to fix the
work utilizing all the available materials if I can.

The service now is feed from exisiting 800a service its about 150' away from temporary building. the T building needs 600A to feed 3- 200am MCB panels inside
Temporary buildings. they installed 3 -200a disconnects at 2nd h frame they hung on H frame because they weren't allowed to hang panels on side of temporary building. the H frame sites about 15' from side of Temporary Buildings.

My Idea is to use the overhead as parallel out of Service gutter to a 600a disconnect on 2nd H frame then feed all the 200a disconnects going to 200MCB goin in the building. Anyone see where this couldn't work. BTW there's no inspections its in the county.

Attachments

• RNC.jpg
    RNC.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 0
  • RNC 2.jpg
    RNC 2.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 0

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Never got around to it on the other thread, but are the three T buildings made into one by simply joining them mechanically. That is, do they still have the original walls simply butted together and mechanically fastened.... or were the adjoining ends walls cut out and open from one building section to the next.

What I'm trying to assess is whether it/these can still be considered 3 buildings rather than one...???

mannyb

Occupation
Electrician
Never got around to it on the other thread, but are the three T buildings made into one by simply joining them mechanically. That is, do they still have the original walls simply butted together and mechanically fastened.... or were the adjoining ends walls cut out and open from one building section to the next.

What I'm trying to assess is whether it/these can still be considered 3 buildings rather than one...???

yes the wall were removed, its one big temporary building. imagine 3 double wide mobile homes put together. with 3 -200am MCB panels one was for each Unit.

iwire

Staff member
If they are like I deal with they are manufactured buildings and each unit is listed as one.

So they might put two end units in place and install as many middle units as needed.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
yes the wall were removed, its one big temporary building. imagine 3 double wide mobile homes put together. with 3 -200am MCB panels one was for each Unit.

If they are like I deal with they are manufactured buildings and each unit is listed as one.

So they might put two end units in place and install as many middle units as needed.

Are these manufactured buildings, i.e. fabricated and assembled off site for the most part?
You both posted while I was typing. :angel:

And that answers that.

Being a manufactured building, I would allow via "special permission" as is if I were the AHJ/inspector.

mannyb

Occupation
Electrician
You both posted while I was typing. :angel:

And that answers that.

Being a manufactured building, I would allow via "special permission" as is if I were the AHJ/inspector.

yes they are manufactured buildings delivered then bolted together, they all have individual tongues where they were dlviered independent still on trailor hitch.

BTW since we are in County meaning no inspections who would give special permission.?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
yes they are manufactured buildings delivered then bolted together, they all have individual tongues where they were dlviered independent still on trailor hitch.

BTW since we are in County meaning no inspections who would give special permission.?
I will.

Just kidding. ;)

Don't know where it is located or what formal procedures, if any, are in place there. IIRC, WV places compliance responsibility on the Master Electrician where not inspected.

mannyb

Occupation
Electrician
I will.

Just kidding. ;)

Don't know where it is located or what formal procedures, if any, are in place there. IIRC, WV places compliance responsibility on the Master Electrician where not inspected.

what you think about service disconnects being 15' away? should we recommend be put on T building? I don't care about getting job i just want to have
something to tell owner and let him decide.

mannyb

Occupation
Electrician
what you think about service disconnects being 15' away? should we recommend be put on T building? I don't care about getting job i just want to have

i just want to say Smart$ thanks for your help. there aren't a lot of guys willing to share their knowledge/experience even on this site. Thanks for your patience.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
On or immediately inside the building is, shall we say "preferred" if we compare to say a mobile home, which in essence is a manufactured temporary building, vs. a manufactured home, which is intended for the most part to be a permanent structure. The disconnecting means for the mobile home is actually required to be exterior but not on the mobile home, and must be within line of sight and not more than 30' from the mobile home.... and the service disconnecting means is permitted to be remotely located.

mannyb

Occupation
Electrician
On or immediately inside the building is, shall we say "preferred" if we compare to say a mobile home, which in essence is a manufactured temporary building, vs. a manufactured home, which is intended for the most part to be a permanent structure. The disconnecting means for the mobile home is actually required to be exterior but not on the mobile home, and must be within line of sight and not more than 30' from the mobile home.... and the service disconnecting means is permitted to be remotely located.

Christ do you sleep with NEC. LOL! i would have never figured going that far to see into the compliance of a installation. Again Thanks. I was in the right field just
playing wrong game. : - )

electricalist

I have to ask. If theres no inspection ,there's nothing to fail. How could he want to pay to have it redone..
Alot of people who are in uninspected areas believe that if they paid a ec and no inspections are required,,, then it fine.

mannyb

Occupation
Electrician
I have to ask. If theres no inspection ,there's nothing to fail. How could he want to pay to have it redone..
Alot of people who are in uninspected areas believe that if they paid a ec and no inspections are required,,, then it fine.

Yes. i guess the guy who did the work is as smart as SMart$. Smart$ made a lot of good points. There are two other electrical contractors on this job plus GC, no to mention our shop and the guys who did temp buildings. Its a Big Project. The GC damaged the conduit then used his EC to say that the T Buildings were not in code anyway they weren't gonna fix. Long and Short........ I used what Smart$ referenced or Id be convincing the Owner to replace underground and feel like an idiot for not verifying. Our Shop master/owner is on vacation and so the figuring out was left up to us....AND the guys on this Forum. LOL! Thanks for all the help. especially SMArt$.

electricalist

I see. Often ill read a thread and try to find how to apply the code and i was honestly trying to the big picture. Thinking from service tap to ts but adding h2 seemed like a seperate structure so i was trying to make it work in my head.
I like the threads like this. Thanks for not letting me get in your way. Since ive been on this forum my whole world has changed. Thanks to you and all the others

kwired

Electron manager

The same people that will not reject what is there:happyyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.