Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 480 Volt twist lock plug

Quote Originally Posted by jumper View Post
    They are HP rated. It is part of their listing.

page 467. http://www.ul.com/wp-content/uploads...White-Book.pdf
    I trust you and did not look at your link. I'm guessing they don't need to be marked with HP rating then? This only apply to certain receptacles, in particular 5-15 and 5-20? I never see a HP rating on any other receptacle, until maybe you get into pin and sleeve type connectors.

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    I trust you and did not look at your link. I'm guessing they don't need to be marked with HP rating then? This only apply to certain receptacles, in particular 5-15 and 5-20? I never see a HP rating on any other receptacle, until maybe you get into pin and sleeve type connectors.
    It lists basic standard receptacles 15A to 60A like those found in a basic NEMA chart. 5-15 and 5-20 are listed.

For other types it says:

Devices of configurations other than those indicated in the table have horsepower ratings only if such ratings are marked on the device.
    "Electricity is really just organized lightning." George Carlin

Derek

It lists basic standard receptacles 15A to 60A like those found in a basic NEMA chart. 5-15 and 5-20 are listed.

For other types it says:

Devices of configurations other than those indicated in the table have horsepower ratings only if such ratings are marked on the device.
    Now you made me look at the link and I see some common configurations that I see a lot that are not in compliance with the rating. Big one that stands out to me is NEMA 10-50. They have been used for decades on the farms here and is not uncommon at all to see them supplying 10 HP single phase motors. Bad enough that they should probably be using 6-50 before even considering HP rating.

Farmer puts up a new grain bin, he wants one to plug in his portable auger that he uses on several other sites, so what do you do, especially when there has been little or no serious mishaps with those over all those years?

It gets even more complicated when I believe the 2017 NEC will require GFCI protection on such receptacle outlets.

Install something that is NEC compliant and you know they will just make a cheater adapter anyway because they are going to still use it at existing sites.

Here's a much smaller download:

http://productspec.ul.com/document.p...RTRT.GuideInfo

Cheers, Wayne

The plant safety people around here often require an interlocked disconnect or a Meltric switch rated plug and receptacle for 480 cord and plug connected equipment.
    Don, Illinois
    Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity. Dr. Rick Rigsby
    (All code citations are 2017 unless otherwise noted)

Combination device?

Depending upon the required current rating you can get twist-lock receptacles with integral disconnects built right in (ex Hubbell SE2730A).