Bonding of CSST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hacks

I have a house that needs the CSST bonded. This is an old house that has normal gas pipe installed, but they added CSST from the furnace to the new kitchen.

Should I bond the gas pipe by the meter where the pipe enters the basement like I would usually do when CSST is installed in the whole house? Or should I bond it by the CSST which is 30 foot away?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
the mechanical inspectors in our area would require the bond at the entry manifiold.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
IMO, the gas code requires it only where it enters the building

I just went through this with our local inspector about my own home.

According to him (backed up by reference) the bonding is to be done from where the gas pipe enters the building (within five feet if no couplings or fittings are present is considered OK) to the service bonding point.

Hacks

I just went through this with our local inspector about my own home.

According to him (backed up by reference) the bonding is to be done from where the gas pipe enters the building (within five feet if no couplings or fittings are present is considered OK) to the service bonding point.
Our gas meters are often inside of the house so I have always put the ground clamp on the load side of the meter.

bphgravity

SECTION 310 (IFGS) ELECTRICAL BONDING

310.1 Pipe and tubing other than CSST.
Each above-ground portion of a gas piping system other than corrugated stainless steel tubing (CSST) that is likely to become energized shall be electrically continuous and bonded to an effective ground-fault current path. Gas piping other than CSST shall be considered to be bonded where it is connected to appliances that are connected to the equipment grounding conductor of the circuit supplying that appliance.

310.1.1 CSST.
Corrugated stainless steel tubing (CSST) gas piping systems shall be bonded to the electrical service grounding electrode system. The bonding jumper shall connect to a metallic pipe or fitting between the point of delivery and the first downstream CSST fitting. The bonding jumper shall be not smaller than 6 AWG copper wire or equivalent. Gas piping systems that contain one or more segments of CSST shall be bonded in accordance with this section.

Make sure you also comply with the manufacturer's installation instructions...

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Our gas meters are often inside of the house so I have always put the ground clamp on the load side of the meter.

I think in that case you would have unless you can get the gas company to use a dielectric fitting out side. Nec will not allow using the gas line as an electrode .

Hacks in those older homes there may not be a dielectric fitting so even on the load side of the meter you could be in violation.

Hacks

I think in that case you would have unless you can get the gas company to use a dielectric fitting out side. Nec will not allow using the gas line as an electrode .

Hacks in those older homes there may not be a dielectric fitting so even on the load side of the meter you could be in violation.
At this point I am only trying to appease whatever inspector this town uses for the certificate of occupancy. He wanted the CSST bonded, he will most likely be the only one to look at it.

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician
At this point I am only trying to appease whatever inspector this town uses for the certificate of occupancy. He wanted the CSST bonded, he will most likely be the only one to look at it.

Have you asked the inspector how it's expected to be done? Most of the time they would rather have questions asked than have mistakes made and force corrections. At least that's been my experience.

Hacks

Have you asked the inspector how it's expected to be done? Most of the time they would rather have questions asked than have mistakes made and force corrections. At least that's been my experience.
No, getting a hold of inspectors is problematic around here. Most of them are part time and only have 2-4 hours per week of office time that you can call.

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician
No, getting a hold of inspectors is problematic around here. Most of them are part time and only have 2-4 hours per week of office time that you can call.

I have done work in places like that. There are lots of them here in Michigan. I just leave a message with my cell number and have them call me back. I have been around here long enough to know that being in a hurry when dealing with small towns will only result in frustration and conflicts. So far, that has worked well.

It has also resulted in staying on the good side of these inspectors.

Hacks

This isn't an electrical inspector, it's whoever does the CofO inspections in this town. Someone I will never meet or see.

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician
This isn't an electrical inspector, it's whoever does the CofO inspections in this town. Someone I will never meet or see.

I still think what I said applies. I have done work in Michigan where I never met or saw the inspector. With small town America (which I love) you just have to take the good with the bad.

At least you don't have to climb up a pole to answer your phone. :p

ritelec

Still having a tuff time understanding this. What bonded to what. Isn't the gas service pipe. No bond required right ? Then the jumper from the boiler to stove is just a flexible gas pipe. ??

Status
Not open for further replies.