Dual Function breakers / plug on neutral

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDB3

With the new requirements for AFCI locations & with the old GFCI requirements, have any of you'll used the "dual function (AFCI/GFCI)" breakers ? Also, have any of you'll used the plug-on neutral style breakers?

I mainly use the Square D Homeline panels/breakers.

A friend of mine over the electrical department @ Home Depot, has said that he has not had any complaints/returns with them. Just checking.

Thanks,

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
They haven't been around long enough to find out if there is any special performance issues with them IMO.

I agree. I am beginning to see them used in my area and so far no problems but, as noted, they jury is still out.
Biggest problem so far is folks buying them at the big box store without realizing that they don't work in all Homeline panels

kwired

Electron manager
Biggest problem so far is folks buying them at the big box store without realizing that they don't work in all Homeline panels

I did see that coming. They may eventually make all panels with the plug on neutral rail - I hate to see that even be a thought in the NQ line though I like not having to land neutral conductors behind the ungrounded conductors and find it only to be convenient for GFCI/AFCI breakers.

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Been using dual function breakers for dishwasher and garbage disposals for a few months now and haven't heard of any problems yet.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If they're trying to use them with the older Homeline panels that is correct. However, if they are buying any of the newer Homeline panels that's all HD is selling now.

• 100A - 20/40
  • 150A - 30/60
  • 200A - 40/80
All have the plug-on neutral

peter d

Plug on neutral is nothing new since Eaton came out with a version for their C-H (tan handle) panels several years ago. It definitely is a time savor and makes the panel look a whole lot neater.

Status
Not open for further replies.