Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pentair Pool Pump GFCI trips

Quote Originally Posted by FionaZuppa View Post
    i dont have a tripping issue.

but perhaps just those that snap-clamp on. $1.33 at allied
    Right on.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

i do not think its the RF itself causing gfi to trip. X10 controllers inject 120kHz onto the mains and they do not cause gfi or afi's to trip.
    definitely seems to be some "fault" current on the egc.

The X10 standard carefully limits the energy and amplitude of its carrier transmission.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GoldDigger View Post
    The X10 standard carefully limits the energy and amplitude of its carrier transmission.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    so you think the RF being imposed onto pool pump frame is creating amplitude higher than the X10?

i still say the easiest thing to try is ferrites and a choke inline with the egc. you can also try wrapping the EGC wire in/around a ferrite ring 7-8 turns.

Pentair Pool Pump GFCI trips

Can this problem be addressed by installing the GFCI protection between the VFD and the motor hook up.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Harrington View Post
    Can this problem be addressed by installing the GFCI protection between the VFD and the motor hook up.

If there were a VFD. I don't think it would matter as the motor is the issue. Also I don't believe the GFCI would work at different freq. and voltages
    They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
    She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
    I can't help it if I'm lucky

The variable speed pumps have the VFD built onto the pumps.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

No, for the reason Dennis gave. Plus in the case with these pool pump motors, the VFD is built onto the motor.

Name:  E1960_med.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  32.0 KB
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    Many people are shocked when they discover I am not a good electrician...

: Pentair Pool Pump GFCI trips

sorry i assumed the vfd was isolated from the motor.

Quote Originally Posted by FionaZuppa View Post
    why not amp clamp the egc (take off gfi), see how their stuff is bad, then you can send a nasty-gram to pentair.
    GFCI is going to trip at 4-6 mA, can you accurately measure that level with your amp clamp?

Quote Originally Posted by Jraef View Post
    The issue is, these newer Pentair pool pumps have a built-in VFD to a 3 phase motor (the VFD accepts single phase, puts out 3 phase). VFDs produce a lot of high frequency (above 150kHz) common mode noise if not installed exactly perfectly with regard to grounding between the drive and motor. So in some GFCIs, that HF CM noise gets detected and acted upon. The Siemens GFCI breakers apparently discriminate against that HF CM noise and don't trip as easily. So you can either replace the GFCI with a Siemens version, or you can add a shielded isolation transformer between the GFCI and the pump.

I have HEARD (but not had the chance to try) that increasing the size of the ground connection inside of the pump between the drive and the motor can help, because the HF CM noise travels on the surface of conductors, not deep into them. By increasing the conductor size you are increasing the surface area. That's one of the reasons to use Shielded VFD cable, it's an alternate path for CM noise to travel. In this case because the VFD is close coupled to the pump motor, that doesn't apply here.
    I was going to suggest that a ground fault in the motor won't trip a GFCI on the supply side of a VFD. Then past couple threads bring up that the VFD and motor are all part of same assembly, so I guess it still makes sense to GFCI protect it for pool applications.