Stinger Leg

Status
Not open for further replies.

funseebee

I'm working on a project with an existing 600A, 120/240V, 3-phase 4-wire main switchboard. There is a stinger leg on the board which is Phase "B". What are the restrictions involved using the stinger leg? As far as my knowledge is concern, NO 120V and 240V single phase connection can be installed using the stinger leg. Is this a true statement? Please respond to confirm. Thanks.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Note that slash-rated breakers (240/120) can not be connected to the high-leg. When purchasing breakers that will be high-leg connected be sure get purchase "straight-rated" (240) breakers.Code ref is 240.85

funseebee

Phase "B" Stinger Leg

Phase "B" Stinger Leg

Half right. No 120V circuits hooked to the stinger leg allowed. 120/240V single phase circuits C to A phase only. Straight 240V single phase A to B, B to C, or C to A all good.

Thanks for your quick response. Now, you wrote that I can connect a 240V, single phase equipment to the Normal Phase "A" & Stinger Leg Phase "B", or Stinger Leg Phase "B & Normal Phase C? Please confirm. Thanks again.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Thanks for your quick response. Now, you wrote that I can connect a 240V, single phase equipment to the Normal Phase "A" & Stinger Leg Phase "B", or Stinger Leg Phase "B & Normal Phase C? Please confirm. Thanks again.
Yes, you can connect 240V single phase loads to A to B and B to C. Mind augie's reference about the proper breaker.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
and, of course, be careful if your 240 single phase load is 240/120 ie: using the neutral

Status
Not open for further replies.