Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 33

Thread: Two people electrocuted in separate incidents

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    Posts
    6,963
    Forgot to mention that the other tragedy with the little girl at the dock is one that will likely result in some rolling heads. Sometimes when I go to marinas I get PO'd when I see the lack of maintenance and attention paid to the electrical systems. Given the nature of the activities surrounding water, I think it's tragic that inspections are so lax. If it were a public swimming pool it would get regular inspections (in most places).
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    Many people are shocked when they discover I am not a good electrician...

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    4,737
    Quote Originally Posted by Jraef View Post
    Forgot to mention that the other tragedy with the little girl at the dock is one that will likely result in some rolling heads. Sometimes when I go to marinas I get PO'd when I see the lack of maintenance and attention paid to the electrical systems. Given the nature of the activities surrounding water, I think it's tragic that inspections are so lax. If it were a public swimming pool it would get regular inspections (in most places).
    It must have taken them some time to get her out of the water. I know first aid squads at the Shore are top-notch, and Children's Specialized Hospital is only blocks away.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    112

    Another link

    Last edited by GoldDigger; 07-11-17 at 11:42 PM.
    Freedom of choice is what you got. Freedom from choice is what you want. -Devo

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Placerville, CA, USA
    Posts
    18,375
    Lovington police Detective Sgt. David Miranda told The Associated Press on Tuesday that a cellphone, a charging cord and an extension cord were found by the bathtub.
    So possibly she was plugging in the charging wall wart into the extension cord at the time?

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    Posts
    6,963
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldDigger View Post
    So possibly she was plugging in the charging wall wart into the extension cord at the time?
    Well that could explain why there was no GFCI. Makes me wonder if she used the extension cord because the GFCI receptacle in the bathroom had already tripped on her and she didn't understand the significance.

    That now just made me realize that I don't recall ever having explained any of that specifically to my kids... My wife, yes, because she tripped it once and asked me why it didn't work. I've gotta have "the talk" with my kids.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    Many people are shocked when they discover I am not a good electrician...

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NE Nebraska
    Posts
    33,503
    Quote Originally Posted by newservice View Post
    Aside from the sheer tragedy of this loss of life, and the how and why did it happen, it sure makes me stop and think..I know it will pass my mind as I install or repair a gfci.

    That said I cannot help but wonder if the lightening strike comment may be closer to right, leaving a burn mark even with 120vac rms .?.how much of a burn mark could it make? Would have to be just about a dead short.
    If she couldn't let go current would continue to flow and there could be burning of flesh.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NE Nebraska
    Posts
    33,503
    Quote Originally Posted by Coppersmith View Post
    Pretty sure this one will receive a Darwin Award.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadfly56 View Post
    Ahhh, I'm not sure I'd be quick to hand out plaques just yet. Not enough info. Besides, being a teen should allow leeway for a certain degree of stupidity without it being a death sentence.
    Along with Jraef's explanation of how young brains work - there will still be people (especially younger people) that would use a phone while plugged in in such situations, but you can almost bet anybody close to this girl learned a lesson about that and won't do it.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    4,039
    the battery may have discharged across her hand, easily a few amps
    adding to the wall wart current



  9. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NE Nebraska
    Posts
    33,503
    Quote Originally Posted by Ingenieur View Post
    the battery may have discharged across her hand, easily a few amps
    adding to the wall wart current
    A phone battery I have laying on my desk says it is 3.85 volts, charge volts 4.4 volts. Is that going to push enough current through a human body that is presumably in reasonable health condition to kill them?

    Now if premises supply volts to the charger is somehow imposed on the charging cable (likely malfunction or even cheap non listed component) I can easily see that electrocuting someone.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3,774
    I read an article about the girl in the bathtub and thought it didn't make much sense how they were focusing so much on the cellphone. The theories in this thread regarding how she might have gotten 120V to herself in the tub make a lot more sense. Extension cord...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •