RV Park Bath House Shower Shock

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
I think this could be debated forever. When you talk about a fault to transformer case and a potential to earth if we remove bond jumper isn't it essentially this way right now by loosing the neutral primary conductor? I guess it just depends on how you want to look at it and determine which would be the lesser hazard since it wasn't installed correctly from the beginning.

Right now the situation is like every service in the US, loss of the neutral can energize service equipment over earth potential.

To me it comes down to this, if you touch it and someone dies you are screwed both legally and in my opinion morally.

I would make sure all my paper work with this customer indicated there is a serious safety issue and the feeder must be replaced.

kwired

Electron manager
You are right it should be disconnected until feeder is replaced. Right now they will only make the bath house out of order. We are scheduled to replace feeder. The whole reason for my questions is because there are multiple transformers fed the same way throughout this park. Until the electrical is upgraded I was trying to eliminate any future problems that could be related to the same scenario. The park is slated to do a complete electrical renovation in a year or so.

I think this could be debated forever. When you talk about a fault to transformer case and a potential to earth if we remove bond jumper isn't it essentially this way right now by loosing the neutral primary conductor? I guess it just depends on how you want to look at it and determine which would be the lesser hazard since it wasn't installed correctly from the beginning.

Thanks for your recommendations on this.

Right now the situation is like every service in the US, loss of the neutral can energize service equipment over earth potential.

To me it comes down to this, if you touch it and someone dies you are screwed both legally and in my opinion morally.

I would make sure all my paper work with this customer indicated there is a serious safety issue and the feeder must be replaced.
Bob is correct in that if these were POCO owned transformers, you likely would have the same setup you have now.

Though it is a good idea to do the feeder correctly, if the source of this "stray" voltage is on supply side of the premises - you won't fix the stray voltage problem after redoing the feeder(s). You really need to figure out if there is a bad neutral or just a voltage drop problem on the neutral and whether it is before or after your service point.

One thing you can do that may be a good indication is to open service disconnect but leave grounded conductors connected. If there is still stray voltages with the service open - the problem is most likely originating ahead of your service disconnect.

ADD: and if it is a POCO side problem and you can't get them to do anything about it- you are stuck with improving equipotential bonding in the problem areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.