service trough bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just want a confirmation this is compliant. 120/240 self contained meter socket, out the bottom with a compression emt connector with a bonding bushing on it to the neutral lug of the meter (it has an additional lug adjacent and bonded to the neutral lug). Other end of EMT hits a raintight emt connector into the top of a 3R trough with a grounding locknut. From there, all non metallic raceways, neutral NOT bonded to the trough in the trough. Thanks.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I would say you don't need the bond bushing in the meter can.

The grounding lock nut in the trough is your bond to the neutral in the trough.

He stated the the trough was not bonded to the neutral.

Just want a confirmation this is compliant. 120/240 self contained meter socket, out the bottom with a compression emt connector with a bonding bushing on it to the neutral lug of the meter (it has an additional lug adjacent and bonded to the neutral lug). Other end of EMT hits a raintight emt connector into the top of a 3R trough with a grounding locknut. From there, all non metallic raceways, neutral NOT bonded to the trough in the trough. Thanks.

Sounds compliant with both the bonding locknut and the bonding bushing with the bonding jumper.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
He stated the the trough was not bonded to the neutral.

Sounds compliant with both the bonding locknut and the bonding bushing with the bonding jumper.

I believe he is stating that the bonding bushing is making the connection to the trough via the conduit path back to the meter neutral. Not that it is a parallel path.

My question: What is the size of the conductor that bonds the raceway at the meter can neutral and the trough via the bushings?

electricalist

Meter side needs a drilled or punched out hole with a lockring and plastic bushing..rmc raceway to trough through drilled or punched out hole with a lockring, grounding bushing ,bonding jumper based on largest ungrounded conductor table that ends at the point where the neutral,the ges conductor/s with all be bonded ,,,,the trough ,,the disconnect.

electricalist

And with the parallel path i think from the meter to the trough to the disconnect there is less paths if the grounding method is by its connection without the jumpers.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The EMT raceway contains SEC's so it requires bonding beyond standard locknuts on one end, at that meter enclsoure that's provided by the bonding bushing and bonding jumper. The wireway still contains SEC's so that's required to be bonded by a method beyond standard locknuts so it has a bonding locknut on the EMT since it is not bonded to the neutral which would have been another option.

electricalist

With sec the bonding jumper is required, I think its compliant to put the jumper on the meter side although in some places ahj wont allow it ,,,here..

I agree that I could have bonded the trough with the neutral, and only used one BB or BL. Reason I prefer the OP stated way is that 1) pain to get a good bond in the trough - factory tapped hole is hokey. 2) bonding trough with neutral creates the dreaded parallel path i.e. "objectionable current". (which is probably not against code anyway)

Status
Not open for further replies.