Relocatable Power Tap

Status
Not open for further replies.
attachment.php

I saw this in a closed thread and would like to continue discussion if it is okay with the Moderators.

This is a Relocatable Power Tap as per (XBYS) UL. It is not a substitute for fixed wiring, therefore cannot be used in the small appliance branch circuit to serve the countertop receptacle requirement of 210.52(C).

There are products currently available that would satisfy the requirements.
This is one -
PUFP-CT-BK.jpg

This is another - http://www.electricsmarts.com/industry/press/release/17443
Made by Carlon - includes cable for hard wiring.

***Not a flexible cord/flexible cord with molded attachment plug.

Does anyone agree - disagree??

Thanks for the comments

As I have searched, it seems that available models that meet the standards and NEC are not very common. In regards to cost, they are more costly for sure. I am curious to see where these types of devices are headed.

I have seen the type designated as, relocatable power taps installed much more often than the hard wired types. Some inspectors in our area are oblivious to the code requirements and really do not care. That is nothing new though...

sandsnow

As I have searched, it seems that available models that meet the standards and NEC are not very common. In regards to cost, they are more costly for sure. I am curious to see where these types of devices are headed.

I have seen the type designated as, relocatable power taps installed much more often than the hard wired types. Some inspectors in our area are oblivious to the code requirements and really do not care. That is nothing new though...

I see the reason for your question, now.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
{sarcasm} I just love how marketing people put a spin on things nowadays: "Eliminates the Safety Hazard of Cords Plugged in to Side-Mounted Outlets". Instead, more cord is now on the countertop where knives and other consumer equipment is used, making it more prone to physical damage.

However, I do see where one could be advantageous for peninsula and island counter usage... temporarily or occasionally... but far from ideal toward replacing wall outlets.

JMO

kwired

Electron manager
{sarcasm} I just love how marketing people put a spin on things nowadays: "Eliminates the Safety Hazard of Cords Plugged in to Side-Mounted Outlets". Instead, more cord is now on the countertop where knives and other consumer equipment is used, making it more prone to physical damage.

However, I do see where one could be advantageous for peninsula and island counter usage... temporarily or occasionally... but far from ideal toward replacing wall outlets.

JMO
And for an island or peninsula I still think you can't beat a pendant from the ceiling for practicality, and nothing in NEC would prohibit them either--- but no interior decorator or wife is ever going to like them;)

Smart $

Esteemed Member
And for an island or peninsula I still think you can't beat a pendant from the ceiling for practicality, and nothing in NEC would prohibit them either--- but no interior decorator or wife is ever going to like them;)
L:lol:L

mwm1752

JMO

Quite a few kitchens have windows above the wall countertops- no wall space to put recepts --

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Quite a few kitchens have windows above the wall countertops- no wall space to put recepts --
Those countertops would be in the same category as peninsula and island countertops with respect to wall-mounted countertop receptacles.

I'd rather see a pop-up or raised-box than a face-up duplex. :happyyes:

mwm1752

Those countertops would be in the same category as peninsula and island countertops with respect to wall-mounted countertop receptacles.

I'd rather see a pop-up or raised-box than a face-up duplex. :happyyes:

exterior wall with windows to top of a kitchen counter with no backsplash does not make the counter an island or penisula.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
exterior wall with windows to top of a kitchen counter with no backsplash does not make the counter an island or penisula.
I didn't say it did, or at least that wasn't my intention.

I meant installing receptacles for countertop usage brings up the same/similar physical considerations as peninsula and islands.

kwired

Electron manager
I didn't say it did, or at least that wasn't my intention.

I meant installing receptacles for countertop usage brings up the same/similar physical considerations as peninsula and islands.

except that with a island or peninsula you can get away with only one receptacle on a long counter where you may otherwise need more then one if it were not an island or peninsula.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
except that with a island or peninsula you can get away with only one receptacle on a long counter where you may otherwise need more then one if it were not an island or peninsula.
The required number of receptacles and their spacing have nothing to do with it. My comments are only regarding the physical restraints of installation.

kwired

Electron manager
The required number of receptacles and their spacing have nothing to do with it. My comments are only regarding the physical restraints of installation.

And a few items I have pointed out in this thread have little physical restraints - but are also undesirable to have by the owners in most instances

How about a situation where the only counter in the kitchen is an island? (Haven't seen one that I recall but is possible) We only need one receptacle for an island according to one section - yet another section says we need at least two SABC's supplying the counter receptacles.

I guess a single duplex supplied by a MWBC would still work for this application - GFCI protection likely needs to be a 2 pole breaker for that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.