LFNC Fittings Bonding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stephena

I have a LFNC metal fitting that is UL listed and marked LNMC-B for Liquid Tight Flexible Nonmetallic Conduit. The question is if it can be used on an installation connecting to a nonmetallic box, cover, etc. and not need to be bonded? I checked the UL whitebook Category DWFV Conduit and Fittings and specifically looked under the LTNC fittings and it didn't state any limitations to it being needed to be bonded if used in a connection to nonmetallic equipment. I also read 250.96A and it states " Metal raceways, cable armor, cable sheath, enclosures, frames, fittings,and other non current carrying parts that are to serve as equipment grounding conductors, with or without the use of supplementary equipment grounding conductors, shall be bonded where necessary to ensure electrical continuity and the capacity to conduct safely any fault current likely to be imposed on them." Am I right on this?

Carultch

I have a LFNC metal fitting that is UL listed and marked LNMC-B for Liquid Tight Flexible Nonmetallic Conduit. The question is if it can be used on an installation connecting to a nonmetallic box, cover, etc. and not need to be bonded? I checked the UL whitebook Category DWFV Conduit and Fittings and specifically looked under the LTNC fittings and it didn't state any limitations to it being needed to be bonded if used in a connection to nonmetallic equipment. I also read 250.96A and it states " Metal raceways, cable armor, cable sheath, enclosures, frames, fittings,and other non current carrying parts that are to serve as equipment grounding conductors, with or without the use of supplementary equipment grounding conductors, shall be bonded where necessary to ensure electrical continuity and the capacity to conduct safely any fault current likely to be imposed on them." Am I right on this?

LFNC cannot be bonded, because it is entirely an insulator.
You need a wire installed as the equipment grounding conductor, if you are going to use LFNC, PVC, HDPE, or any other non-metallic conduit.

Am I missing the question you are intending to ask?

stephena

Ya I'm talking about the metal fitting. I have someone saying it needs to be bonded because it's metal. I disagree and 250.96A plus UL whitebook is my reasoning and I want to be sure I'm right. Thank you for your help.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician

You're terminology is what is confusing to us. You said "LFNC" which is liquidtight nonmettalic conduit and is as stated, "nonmetallic". You may have meant "LFMC" which is the metal version of it and is called liquidtight flexible metal conduit.

As was said, you can't bond plastic, rubber, anything not metal.

Status
Not open for further replies.